Too much money for too little bike

c5
c5 Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I saw this bike
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3898.html?specs=1
is it too expensive for too little kit? I have had a good experience with my present viking bike, I have had it for 10 years and it owes me nothing but a couple of sets of tyres and a couple of puncture patches, brake pads and oil. but the rims are worn to the indicator line and I fancy some disc brakes and now need to relace the whole drive train as 8 speed stuff is getting harder to find.
thanks for your help

Comments

• garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Am I too suspicious? Whole post seems dodgy... short moniker; 1st post; link to website (allegedly) asking for help.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • c5
    actually you are being too suspicious I made the post short as I didn't want to waste anybody's time I was told on another forum not cycling based that this was a good and friendly place to come for advice. obviously theirs and my mistake. I really don't know how i have offended but my apologies I will go elsewhere for help mods feel free to delete my post and account this place is obviously not for me as I don't have the £500 min spend for entry
  • c5
    I don't drive and have never had much money as I am a care assistant by profession. I cycle as a means of transportation and don't use it recreationally I Don't cycle the huge distances that many of you do as I do only about a 100 miles a week and my present bike is broken hence the request for help. The reason I put the link in is so that people could see the spec on the bike and advise if that was a fair price or whether I was paying throught the nose. I am sorry But did not know that links were bad form as the camping forum I often frequent is a lot more laissez faire. so my apologies I will go elsewhere for help where not having £500 min spend for a new bike is not a problem
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Have you checked out halfords ? They currently have even there top carera.road bike for around 500. Gets you a carbon fork as well
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    garrynolan wrote:
    Am I too suspicious?
    Yes.....

That bike is OK value, but not great, it also depends on what you want the bike for, on road you don't need to be paying for (or carrying the weight of) those suspension forks.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Are we not cruel?

Insult - Suspecting c5 to be freeloading advertiser
    &
    Injury - Advise to go to Halfords and buy a 'bike'

:twisted:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Or, if you want suspension forks and hydraulic discs, the Carrera Kraken from Halfords is better value IMO. What sort of terrain will you be commuting on?

I have an 8-speed hybrid and haven't found it too difficult to keep kitted out. In fact it's just had a major refit and the drivetrain was probably the easiest area to find spares for (new cassette, chainset, chain and square taper bottom bracket).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    c5 wrote:
    need to relace the whole drive train as 8 speed stuff is getting harder to find.

Really, I've not had any issues finding 8 speed equipment and have only within the last 6 months upgraded the 7 speed drive line to 8, as that was becoming hard t source.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    c5 wrote:
    is it too expensive for too little kit?

Yes. Follow the excellent advice above or go second hand. Oh, and perhaps consider being a little less sensitive.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    c5 - sorry for any offence, but there have been dodgy ones on this site in the last few months with a similar moniker (letter and number). I was just asking as one can't be too careful. Would you have clicked on one like that without being even a little bit wary? Anyway, good luck with your search and welcome aboard. Can't offer much advice, just don't let the Halfords snobbery (you know who you are..) put you off. If it all goes wrong - blame Wiggle...
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As 8 speed stuff is still in mass production (most bikes around the £300 price point are 16/24 speed) there is easy and ready supply of 8 speed stuff.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.