Bike week

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Not been particularly well advertised but I see 18-26 June is Bike week.

What difference if any will it make to you?

Could your steed be repaired or adjusted in Britain's Biggest Bike Fix?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• Well since its Bike Week I decided to be radical and ride to work today.

This is radical because today was one of those days when cycling is more difficult and I might ordinarily take the car. It was a day when I learnt some lessons. Let me explain.

Firstly, I usually commute alone, but today I agreed to do the first 4 miles with a neighbour. Since I was doing the school run we couldn't set off before 9.00 but we had an hour to do 12 miles so I wasn't worried. My neighbour is a professional sports coach and is younger and fitter than me but on the bike he was a lot slower putting me under a bit of time pressure. Lesson 1 - riding with others is less predictable and often slower than riding alone.

So I arrived at my meeting a little later than I expected and didn't have time to shower and change. The meeting was pretty informal and I knew the others well, so I had a quick wipe down, changed my shirt and went in wearing cycling shoes and baggies over lycra shorts. My colleagues are used to seeing me in suit and tie and seemed to have trouble adjusting to different attire. Lesson 2 - People see you differently when dressed as a cyclist.

After the meeting I cycled the 4 miles to my office which was enjoyable but it somehow felt wrong to be cycling (and having fun) in work time.

I needed to get back to collect kids from after school club so left earlier, kept to main roads and had to cycle faster than usual to avoid being late. Rush hour proved interesting with 3 near misses, the worst of which was when some idiot white van man coming the other way dangerously overtook and cut up a number of vehicles before tryng to turn right in front of me and dart up a side street. We both jumped on the brakes and skidded to a halt while all the following drivers yelled abuse at him. Nice. Lesson 3 - It can be dangerous out there, and fighting rush our traffic when pushed for time makes it worse.

So I got close to my personal best and still just about made it with minutes to spare but felt under more pressure than usual. Lesson 4 - I love commuting by bike, but for me at least it is better to pick my days and take the car when necessary.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244

Not sure if it was part of Bike Week, but there was free breakfast today, courtesy of Tower Hamlets Wheelers at Narrow Street!
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Aye, free brekkie in work for the first 100 riders every day...Poached eggs & avocado on a bagel. Judging from the extra bikes in the car park, it looks as though folks are taking advantage of the offer !!!
  • Bike week has made jack sh1t of a difference on the roads judging by usual antics of the drivers round here. Although have to say there does seem to be more folk out on bikes recently. Not just because of bike week but just generally more plodders around. I think the Sunday Times had an article about it too.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Bike week has made jack sh1t of a difference on the roads judging by usual antics of the drivers round here. .....
    Why do you expect Bike Week to affect or effect the behaviour of drivers? :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The first 100?! I work in an office with at least a couple of hundred people and and I think there are 4 of us who cycle in!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spen666 wrote:
    Why do you expect Bike Week to affect or effect the behaviour of drivers? :?: :?: :?:

I don't, but surely that must be one of the aims Bike Week - to promote cycling and hopefully change behaviour on the roads?

The Council have it advertised on their traffic screens coming into the city (Cardiff), presumably to notify drivers that there may be more bikes on the road. Of these extra bikes, there's likely to be more new cyclists, therefore drivers should naturally be more careful around cyclists.[/quote]
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501

Every week is bike week.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    They're offering free breakfast and bike check in the town centre tomorrow - problem is its off my route and I don't like other people working on my bike