Inner tubes?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm new to road cycling, although I now cycle into work each day. I'm out of inner tubes and just looking on the net....I can get some airwave tubes for 2.99 although you can pay a lot more. Are the airwave 'bargains' going to lead to loads of punctures?! Do you get what you pay for?

Comments

• Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    You do generally get what you're paying for up to a point....

I work in a Trek dealership and we sell Bontrager tubes naturally, I certainly haven't had a problem with these. When I worked at Halfords we had Continental, Michelin and Bikehut tubes.

I was asked to use Bikehut/Halfords tubes only in repairs and they quite often died at the seams when you got up to road bike pressures. When I told my manager I was going to use the Continentals that's when I stopped having problems.

I'd say the best bet is to go with either a standard Bontrager/Michelin/Panaracer/Specialized/WTB/Continental tube which should be around the £6 mark as a minimum.

I prefer usng Bontrager light weight tubes which are usually around £8 and I have no additional punctures.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    when you say you're running out, are you not repairing the ones that you're swapping out?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Vegeeta wrote:
    You do generally get what you're paying for up to a point....

I work in a Trek dealership and we sell Bontrager tubes naturally, I certainly haven't had a problem with these. When I worked at Halfords we had Continental, Michelin and Bikehut tubes.

I was asked to use Bikehut/Halfords tubes only in repairs and they quite often died at the seams when you got up to road bike pressures. When I told my manager I was going to use the Continentals that's when I stopped having problems.

I'd say the best bet is to go with either a standard Bontrager/Michelin/Panaracer/Specialized/WTB/Continental tube which should be around the £6 mark as a minimum.

I prefer usng Bontrager light weight tubes which are usually around £8 and I have no additional punctures.

Sounds to me like you were pinching the tubes on installation. They don't have seams, just extrusion flash.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I buy perhaps 1-2 new tubes every 10yr or so, just patch the punctured one and swap. Never failed yet.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If yuo're just looking for cheap as chips tubes which do the job fine then Decathlon sells them for about a quid each... Or they did. I haven't been there for a while so they may have gone up. As mentioned above, I've got piles and piles of tubes that I just keep repairing....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pep
    As mentioned above, I've got piles and piles of tubes that I just keep repairing....

why do you have many?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I like Schwalbe tubes......

We have Tesco tubes in most our MTB's which cost £1.43 each, dare say Decathlon are cheaper, but factor in the cost of getting there and back......(32 miles to my nearest!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Pep wrote:
    As mentioned above, I've got piles and piles of tubes that I just keep repairing....

why do you have many?

Because I get incredibly busy with work etc at times and have not time to repair tubes so end up buying more. Then things get quieter and I repair 10+ in 1 sitting... Also people I ride with just chuck them away but I think that's such a waste so I take them, repair them and end up with even more tubes!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    +1 for tesco tubes. Seem to do the trick
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    DesWeller wrote:

Sounds to me like you were pinching the tubes on installation. They don't have seams, just extrusion flash.

Maybe I'd agree if I used levers but with the baggy Continental tyres I was fitting left right and centre they were definately not pinched.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you are on a budget, Wilkinsons sell Kenda inner tubes for £2.50. They seem to be fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Evans had Conti tubes in the sale at 2.99. I have a patched one that's done over 500 miles at 120psi. just make sure you patch with glue and not the self-stick patches.
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Specialized tubes from Evans - often BOGOF... Find one you like, and buy in bulk.
  • Pep
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Evans had Conti tubes in the sale at 2.99. I have a patched one that's done over 500 miles at 120psi. just make sure you patch with glue and not the self-stick patches.

I just bought a batch of self stick patches, never used before.
    Are they no good?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've stopped using Bontrager tubes (from LBS) as I had too many fail at the valve stem joint to the inner. All others seem better in this respect.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Pep wrote:
    Dombo6 wrote:

I just bought a batch of self stick patches, never used before.
    Are they no good?

In my experience, they're ok for a temporary repair, but the adhesive fails over time.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    They are fine for mtb but for higher road pressures I don't trust them.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Stay clear of "slime" tubes, yes they help with punctures BUT over time the slime fills the valve making it impossible to get air in, I have removed all mine and use a plain tube about £6.50 but I only use Continental touring plus tyres, puncture proof.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I have used various Schwalbe, Continental Race 28, Michelin and Nutrak tubes in 26" and 700c sizes. All work fine. However, the Michelin road tubes I bought recently do not have a locknut thread, so I wouldn't buy them again. The valve on Specialized standard 700c tubes (32mm?) is too short for all but the shallowest rims.

I wouldn't bother with slime/self-healing tubes, I think you're better off buying decent tyres. Same goes for glueless patches. I don't have a problem with a few minutes of waiting for the rubber solution to dry on the rare occasion I have had to patch a tube and I know it will be up to the job.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.