Advice on a new bike.

SPROCKET30
SPROCKET30 Posts: 67
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I'm after a new bike for commuting (around 20 miles a day) and winter training rides. I was all set to buy a Verenti Kilmeston but wiggle sold out of Mediums. So I've been looking for alternatives. I'd prefer bikes that come with or will take decent mudguards.

I've looked at:
Ribble audax specced with shimano 105 at around £800.
Dolan [url=preffisiohttp://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/complete-bikes-road-bikes/Doaln-Preffisio?product_id=57]preffisiohttp://www.dolan-bikes.com/roa ... duct_id=57[/url]. At £895
And a Canyon Roadlite but I'm not sure if this has room for mudguards but the spec on the 6.0 is great for the money.

If anyone has any experiance of these bike any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Don't get a Ribble/Verenti/Boardman/Canyon because they just scream tightness!

Do yourself a favour and get a Trek 2.1 or simlar. Yes it's a couple of hundred pounds more, but you'll feel a million dollars improvment in comfort, control and handling.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/ro ... ries/2_1/#
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Vegeeta wrote:

Do yourself a favour and get a Trek 2.1 or simlar. Yes it's a couple of hundred pounds more, but you'll feel a million dollars improvment in comfort, control and handling.

Hardly impartial advice...you work in a smegging Trek dealership! And Trek can hardly be considered a premium brand compared to the others mentioned!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SPROCKET30
    Well not trying to sound ungratefull for the replies But the Trek is £200 more and no mudguards and I'm not sure it would take SKS chromoplastics etc,
  • desweller
    Have you thought about using the Crud Road Racer mudguards? They are pretty good and will give you a wider range of frames to choose from as they do not require mudguard eyes despite being full-length guards.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SPROCKET30
    Using them atm on my current bike. They limit tyre choice 25's are tight, On the wiggle Q&A they claim 28's can be fitted ok to the Kilmeston. Plus I thought as I was after a new bike I'd get one with them already on. .
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    DesWeller wrote:
    Vegeeta wrote:

Hardly impartial advice...you work in a smegging Trek dealership! And Trek can hardly be considered a premium brand compared to the others mentioned!

Whoever said I had to be impartial?

Trek are an infinitly premium brand to the ones mentioned.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • desweller
    Vegeeta wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Vegeeta wrote:

I might have overreacted a bit. But you should declare your bias IMO.

Boardmans and Canyons get universally good reviews, likewise Focus. And that's the first time I've heard anyone describe Trek as a 'premium' brand.

If I could try one out I'd probably go for the Dolan.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'd check out the Genesis Equilibrium 10. You get Tiagra and not 105, but it's all about the frame that gets unilateral great reviews. The groupset can be upgraded over time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vegeeta wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    And the moon is made of cream cheese!

Sorry Trek are no more premium than the other brands mentioned, in fact I'd say they are lower rent than Boardman at least as they are prepared to debase themselves into the 'almost but not quite' BSO market (trek 3500 anyone with its cheap and nasty steel forks) which Boardman certainly have never done, and Neither can I recall the others doing......

Take off those glasses and try a pair with clear lenses!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'd check out the Genesis Equilibrium 10. You get Tiagra and not 105, but it's all about the frame that gets unilateral great reviews. The groupset can be upgraded over time.

Absolutely - the only difficulty is finding one at the moment!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021

Absolutely - the only difficulty is finding one at the moment!

Seen one or two at wheelbase in Staveley if you're interested,
  • tangled_metal
    Boardman seem to be a brand that is trying to establish itself by giving more for less money but saving a bit by going for components from other brands that aren't the most popular. For example they kit out with SRAM not Shimano or even Campag which are either the ubiquitous brand or the connoiseur's brand. That doesn't detract from the fact they are well kitted out and reasonably well made too considering its a brand not a maker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they all likely to be made in China by a select few factories anyway?? I heard that there are only really a handful of true makers of bikes the rest are made by those. IIRC Scott make their own bikes but Spesh and Trek outsource. Also AFAIK Merida are the biggest or second biggest bike manufacturer despite not being common knowledge as a brand here. Reason they make most of the other brands we do know about so don't need to push their own as not their main business. I think they call it consolidation but I could be wrong about that.

RIbble get made overseas now and put together in UK IIRC. I have met a guy who has an old audax with 105. Looks a tidy bike depsite being 6 years old. However he has so many bikes he doesn't get to ride this one as much (sooo jealous). I also saw a newer one chained to a shop drainpipe near where I live. same bike but newer. Looked tidy to me but I don't know much about bikes but have been a graduate marterials engineer so do know my metals and welding s in my inept cycle technician but more than knowledgeable engineering viewpoint the frame at least looks well made.
  • tangled_metal
    BTW I used to look at trek bikes like I wanted one. That was way back before I knew what I wanted and realised the overpriced treks weren't all that. Same with Kona but Kona are well made and overpriced.

BTW I heard the Ribble Carbon frames were supposed to be pretty good considering less than the £1k C2W scheme limit. Seen a few good reviews on them and less than £1k too. Can't be bad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your confusing frame makers with bike makers, many frames are outsourced, but as the assmebly of bits onto a bike requires less capital parts they factories tend to be smaller and more often specific.

Yes Boardman use SRAM, there are lost of "what's better" arguments around but there is nothing inherently wrong with SRAM in fact I prefer the shifting with the X9 on my commuter versus XT on my MTB, certainly I'd take X9 on a Boardman over Deore on another brand which is often the choice you have! A lot of Boardman finishing kit is Ritchey, that is hardly low rent.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228

Seen one or two at wheelbase in Staveley if you're interested,

Thanks - just found one ithe right size quite close to me. They'll price match the £900 in Evans too.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    DesWeller wrote:
    Vegeeta wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Vegeeta wrote:

I might have overreacted a bit. But you should declare your bias IMO.

Boardmans and Canyons get universally good reviews, likewise Focus. And that's the first time I've heard anyone describe Trek as a 'premium' brand.

If I could try one out I'd probably go for the Dolan.

Your opinion though isn't it. Personally I have the opinion that Treks tend to get used by loud mouthed PED a-holes, but that my opinion.

Go for the Canyon, they're nice. Ribble are a pain to deal with but offer great value. Wiggle are always pleasant.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • SPROCKET30
    My "good" road bike is actually a Trek :wink: a 2004 2200 which is a nice bike but it will only just take the Crud road racer guards with 23's. Maybe I'm just awkward( or a Trek owner :) ) But I was really after a bike which can easily take "full mudguards SKS chromoplastics etc and 25's + The Verenti could in theory do that as my choices show I've gravitated towards bikes already fitted with those type of guards.

I've also looked at the geniesis aether but compared to the Verenti and Dolan it's abit expensive. I don't mind being thought of as tight as. This will mainly be a commuter bike so the less flashy the better.