Clarks chains any good?

stickman
stickman Posts: 791
edited July 2013 in Road general
Went to Halfords to buy a chain for my fixed gear, now they've only got Clarks! Clarks, Clarks, Clarks all over the place.
Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
More stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    never had a clarks chain, brake pads are ok though.

find out who makes them. I think I remember reading that KMC or YBN make the chains for most companies.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've got a 10-speed Clarks chain from CRC. It's even got slotted sideplates. Seems OK; reuseable link is easy to install/remove etc. It's a chain, innit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • By coincidence I was in Halfords last night as I wanted to see if they had a replacement exhaust rubber for my car (they didn't).

While I was in there I decided to have a nose around the cycling section. I noticed the 'Clarks' singlespeed chains. If I remember correctly the side plates had YBN stamped on them. It's not hard to check, the ones I saw yesterday had a plastic 'window' in the cardboard packaging.
  • Bit of feedback on Clarks chains. I recently snapped my 10spd in heavy traffic causing untold embarrassment and a severely stubbed toe! The chain was less than 500 miles old and snapped at the quick link. A quick check with a chain checker shows it has already worn to 0.5 in this short period of time. As for the 'self lubricating' I have no idea how they get away with making such a claim. To be avoided if you ask me!
  • My experience is the opposite to skinnerooony's, my clarks chain is holding out well and my KMC one broke at about 500 miles, taking out the front mech as it went.

Self lubricating is nonsense, clean and lube as you would a regular chain.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    Bit of feedback on Clarks chains. I recently snapped my 10spd in heavy traffic causing untold embarrassment and a severely stubbed toe! The chain was less than 500 miles old and snapped at the quick link. A quick check with a chain checker shows it has already worn to 0.5 in this short period of time. As for the 'self lubricating' I have no idea how they get away with making such a claim. To be avoided if you ask me!

Same thing happened to me last week, probably around the same mileage too.
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12930462
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    KMC here. Clarks chains are made by YBN (Yaban)...no good.

CarlosDSanchez - I'm sorry to hear about your chain breaking after so few miles. This is not a common occurrence, I can assure you. Hope you were ok.
  • Was just left with hurt pride and bill for £34 to replace my wrecked front mech!! To be fair, that's the first problem I've had with a KMC chain and the other 2 I've got are still going strong with 2k+ miles on them.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If they are in fact made by YBN then I'd avoid. Tried a YBN 10 speed chain a couple of years ago and it wore very quickly and made a racket with the rest of the 105 drivetrain.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    keef66 wrote:
    If they are in fact made by YBN then I'd avoid. Tried a YBN 10 speed chain a couple of years ago and it wore very quickly and made a racket with the rest of the 105 drivetrain.
    Its funny because I have a KMC chain X10-EL, and it works well, has lasted well (I have the same chain on both my bikes), but on one bike it makes a racket when in the big ring only! Small ring it is as quiet as a mouse. Im running 105 (5700). Any ideas?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That is odd. If the chainline is OK all I can think of is the chain might be too short?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    keef66 wrote:
    That is odd. If the chainline is OK all I can think of is the chain might be too short?
    I've maybe overdone the noise - it is not excessively noisy - just makes a noise when on the big ring. Chain isn't too short. Possibly just the way it will be.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac