Fork Compatibility

nononsense
nononsense Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I ride a 2009 Specialized FSR XC Comp size medium. I bought a 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR comp size small from a colleague for a few hundred pounds for my missus but she isn't really using it (this bike had hardly been used and is in nearly new condition).

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the Rockshox Tora 302 SL from the FSR XC with the Fox Float RL 32 of the stumpy as these seem to be better forks and stick the toras on the stumpy?

Any help/feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Firstly are they different travel? If not then that's not an issue. They're both 120mm aren't they?

Next issue would be steerer compatabilty, I'm assuming they'll both be 1 1/8 steerers so assuming the length of the steerer on the Floats is long enough then it shouldn't be a problem. The steerer on the floats may be shorter if they're from a frame with a smaller head tube, this may mean you have to run your stem at a lower height with fewer spacers, assuming you use spacers. The steerer on your toras may be slightly longer if your frame has a larger head tube, might mean you need to use an extra headset spacer on her bike.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and dont forget to swap the crown races over,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nononsense
    Thanks the replies.

Yes they are both 120mm forks although I don't seem to get anything like that out of the Toras and going by the geometry in the manual I think they are both 1 1/8. I measured the steerer lengths and the floats are 10mm shorter so this shouldn't be an issue.

Again, thanks for the help!
  • nicklouse
    10mm can be an issue. it depends on which bike has the taller stack height without spacers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nononsense
    OK, thanks, I'll have to do a bit more measuring then.

I did measue from the base of the fork to the base of the top cap on each bike and there is a 10mm difference and both bikes have 4 spacers of the same size.

Sounds like I'll not know for sure until I strip them down and try it.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    nononsense wrote:
    OK, thanks, I'll have to do a bit more measuring then.

I did measue from the base of the fork to the base of the top cap on each bike and there is a 10mm difference and both bikes have 4 spacers of the same size.

Sounds like I'll not know for sure until I strip them down and try it.

Seems simple, put one or two less spacers on the FSR to get the top of the steerer of the Floats at the right level (just below the top of any spacers IIRC). Then you're good to go.
  • nicklouse
    nononsense wrote:
    both bikes have 4 spacers of the same size.

Less of an issue then. as you have play space. But is the shorter on had no spacers you would have been paddle less and up a small river.