First Sportive

TomTheFish
TomTheFish Posts: 11
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'm a regular viewer of the forum but this is my first post.

I've been commuting to work for just over a year now (6 miles each way, 4 days a week). For a while I've wanted to try a longer bike ride and I've now taken the plunge and signed up for a 60 mile ride in August and another in October.

Whilst I'm clearly not expecting to be breaking any records I also don't want to be embarrassed by either failing to finish or by rolling in 2 hours after everyone else :oops: . Can anyone recommend how I should train/prepare for these rides?

I consider myself to be fairly fit but, save a for a recent 20 mile ride (1hr 11 mins), I've never really cycled any sort of distance. I ride a Scott Sub (flat bar commuter) so am not expecting to compete with the shaven legged roadies but I want to post a decent time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Comments

• Hi Tom,

I'm sure someone will be along soon that actually knows what they are talking about, but thought I'd share that I too have just signed up for my first sportive (62 miles). I'm a regular commuter (24-30 miles per day, but not every day) and have done 70 plus miles in a day with full panniers on tour but I'm used to travelling at my own speed and stopping when I feel like it.

I know a few others who have signed up and I would imagine that I can hold my own against them so aren't too worried that I'll be rolling in hours behind everyone else.

If I was serious about posting my best time I would have a proper training plan to include some longer rides, shorter harder rides, interval training and rest periods, but I'm treating this as a bit of fun so I'll probably just do a few longer rides in preperation, I'll try to eat properly and get an early night, then pace myself so I don't blow up too soon.

Will be watching this thread for some top tips from the pros though.

Good luck
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Hi Tom,

First of all, well done for taking the plunge! I'm not exactly a pro, but I might be able to help as I was in a similar situation in 2009 - three months after hopping on a bike I was in a "100" mile charity ride (which turned out to be 118!). Like you, I had a 6mi each way commute and I was chuffed to finish in 9hrs, including a total of 2hrs for lunch and other breaks. So you can do it! TBH 60 miles isn't too bad, especially with other riders around you.

Don't worry about the time - as it's uncharted territory for you it shouldn't really matter. If you're always keeping an eye on the watch you might be tempted to go off too fast. The sportives I've done have a really mixed bag of riders and you won't be the slowest or the least fit. First sportive I did this year was 85 miles or so, and the first rider back did it in less than (I think) 3.5 hrs!! Others were twice as long.

Key for you will be upping your distances. I used to ride 6 miles TO work, and then 30 miles home, twice a week, as prep for my event. Try and fit in some more of the 20-milers, and if you feel OK afterward try upping to 30, and then try a 40 and see how you get on.

The distance stuff is important, not just for the endurance, but to check comfort on the bike. After my ride my hands were numb, my feet were burning up, and my backside was sore for a week! Also, learn to re-fuel/re-hydrate on the bike. I never used to be able to get a bottle from the cage without wobbling all over the road, simply cuz I never practised on my commute.

Is your event on the same kind of terrain as your normal ride? It will make a huge difference if your commute is flat but your sportive is hilly! If so, try some climbs to check your gearing is fine, and to condition your thighs to some out-of-saddle riding (legs will fatigue quickly if you're used to staying seated).

Do you have bar ends fitted? Will help, comfort-wise, to vary your hand position. Do you have padded shorts and SPD shoes?

Good luck!
  • TomTheFish
    TomTheFish Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice. Lots to consider as I must admit I'd not even thought about refueling/rehydrating etc.

Managed another 25 miles this morning and have promptly come home and ordered some padded shorts!

Will keep building up the miles by going for a longer ride each morning and have also found a couple of hills I can take in on the ride home.

Thanks again.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hi Tom,

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, and in summary, ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike. :) Just build your mileage up.

What the guys above have said. 20 miles in 1 hr 11 mins seems like a good base from which to build up.

Learn how to replace an inner tube in case you have a flat. To guard against that, it's worth checking the state of your tyres a month or so before the event and, if they look worn, buy some new ones.

Have two water bottles.

If it's October, be prepared for a chilly day and/or rain, so buy a rain jacket, some warm gloves, perhaps a skull cap or cycling cap if your head gets cold.

Like most things, your preparation for events will improve as you do more of them.

Good luck.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    try to build up your stamina rather than concentrate on speed, if you think you will be spending a few hours in the saddle then do a few rides spending 3-4 hours in the saddle, don't worry about distance. Your body will soon adapt.

Use those longer rides to see when you need to eat/drink. Every one is different, i tend to take a sip every 10-15 mins and after the first hour I have something to nibble ever hour or so. And if yu plan on taking electrolyte drinks try a few to see which one suits you.

You can buy liitle sport jelly beans, these can be handy for propping up your energy levels.

On the ride itself do'nt try and follow the sppedkings, just try and find your own pace and if you find a group with a similar pace then stay with them for a while. Its best to have energy left at the end for the tdf sprint for the line.

And youre not the first to ask for advice

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12783958

I'm going to be doing the manc blackpool ride which is about 60 miles but its chock full of people and time just flies by. good luck and most of all enjoy it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.