Harris and bugrington, anyone think of a use for a speargun?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
It is possible that you have read one of my previous rambling threads involving being bored in an industrial hotel in the middle of la belle France and buying stuff from the Decathlon shop wickedly placed directly across the road from me.

The haul included cycling tops, boots, flippers, an archery set and a speargun.

The justification for the purchase of a ludicrously lethal pistol gripped sub aqua fish nailing machine was my holiday in Bermuda in August - where on my one and only previous visit seven years ago I remembered seeing a notice that spear fishing was not permitted within 100m of the beach. Ergo it was permitted outside of that. (Bondesque visions of stalking sharks ensued)

Arse! and probably Feck! Actual research says A) One mile from shore and B) Only proper javelin type spears (ie not the watery equivalent of a Kalashnikof) allowed.

Anyone have a shark problem? Garden overrun with malevolent sprats? Speargun for sale cheap! Beauchat by the way, top notch gear Guv.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't you use it in the commute for errant drivers in South Wales?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Could have done with one to take out the fecking pigeons who have eaten almost all of the large crop of cherries off our tree - would have had enough for some jam, but now only a handful left and they weren't even ripe. The feathered vermin have also snapped off a main branch (it's only a small sapling). I would consider a shotgun, but that will probably take out next door's rather flimsy fence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    REALLY competitive SCR :wink:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    if you are thinking of selling said speargun, I may be in the market....
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Gussio wrote:
    if you are thinking of selling said speargun, I may be in the market....

Billingsgate?
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    redvee wrote:
    Can't you use it in the commute for errant drivers in South Wales?

That's a bit rich coming from anyone in Brizzle. Last time I was over there I had to re-assure my then gf that the drivers try to kill everyone, and it was nothing personal. Mind, at least they are capable of decisive action, unlike our local Cardiff drivers, and of going more than 40 on a motorway, unlike the valleys drivers who get a bit scared above that; they think the speed will boil thier blood and it will evaporate through thier ears or something. I used to have a Citroen 2CV, and the locals still got in my way.
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Could have used it at 3am this morning when I was woken up by a bunch of not so young herberts (twenty somethings) having some sort of tribal dispute outside my house. Would have loved to sit outside their place at 6am this morning doing the same to them to see how they would like it.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Could have done with one to take out the fecking pigeons who have eaten almost all of the large crop of cherries off our tree - would have had enough for some jam.

Can you really make jam from pigeons?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Could have done with one to take out the fecking pigeons who have eaten almost all of the large crop of cherries off our tree - would have had enough for some jam.

Can you really make jam from pigeons?

it would seem so
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • SimonAH
    I know that you can get tulips from Hamster Jam.

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    SimonAH wrote:
    I know that you can get tulips from Hamster Jam.

Kindly leave the stage!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Send it over to Kieran Burns, he may need it when he next encounters the Stella swigging motorist.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Or he could harpoon an overtaking lorry to help him up hills...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Yep - need to contact the manufacturer to find out if they supply top tube mounts. Ideally with an option for front or rear facing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    Rolf F wrote:

Yep - need to contact the manufacturer to find out if they supply top tube mounts. Ideally with an option for front or rear facing.

But what would be the food chain modifier?

IMAG0020.jpg

Srsly Gussio, if you have a want (need) then it was €59, offers welcomed.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Mind you don't catch the trigger with your knee.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition