Setting Up Front Mech - 2 Questions 1 Post

mickeygtlover
mickeygtlover Posts: 47
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I have just purchased a New Shimano XTR Front Mech for my GT XCR 1000, I am new to this mountain bike building business, so if there is anyone in here who can help it would be much appreciated.

I have watched loads of videos on youtube to try and solve this issue myself but I just cant do it and everytime i try i come up with another question?

1. How do i know the front mech is positioned properly?
2. I can get the chain to move up from Little Cog to Middle Cog but then it doesnt move up to Big Cog (if i alter the screws H+L i can get this process to reverse, but then it doesnt go to the little cog?)
3. Could it be my chain is too long?
4 If so how do I know how long the chain should be?

I know one answer would be take it to a shop but i want to be able to do it on my own and so far I have done pretty well with my first build as I have done everything apart from the above. Please Help.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain length round big/big not wrapped around mech plus 2 links.
    Mech cage should be parallel to chainrings, about 2 mm above largest chainring.
    Set high and low screws with no cable tension (disconnect cable).
    Re attach cable and fine tune indexing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Did you remove the little sticker from the outer cage yet? If not, good. The lines on that sticker need to match uP with your outer chainring.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2. I can get the chain to move up from Little Cog to Middle Cog but then it doesnt move up to Big Cog (if i alter the screws H+L i can get this process to reverse, but then it doesnt go to the little cog?)

All other points answered, this one sounds like the cable needs to be a little more taught, use the barrel adjuster on the gear lever to tighten the cable, a few clicks at a time.

If it takes more than a turn you may want to put the chain on the smallest cog, release the cable from the derailleur and pull it a little tighter.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your problem though?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try reading the info on Parktools it is better than any video.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    What is your problem though?
    Chill out man. Bloody hell, what's YOUR problem?

:lol:

I'm having a confuscious time with my front mech at the moment, but not sure what's going on, or what to ask just yet. Never had this problem before, so it may well just be broken, actually.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah I see now...

Park Tools has the best guide.