Chester to Newcastle

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'd like to road bike from Chester to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I'm worried about crossing the Pennines but am concerned about dodging the traffic in the heavily urbanised Merseyside / Greater Manchester region.

Any advice on safe routes would be appreciated.

Comments

• Badger1973
    Badger1973 Posts: 12
    Hey Geoff.
    I have 2 different routes for the 1st part of your Journey.

Route 1- Head for warrington and then head for Leigh; You will avoid mcr and L'pool that way; Be warned tho,warrington gets busy and it is absolutly filled with roundabouts!!! From Leigh head for horwich and then onto Chorley. Blackburn is next but then its down to you? You could go north towards the lake district or head east into yorkshire?

Route 2-This is the same apart from the very start; head 4 warrington but then detour to Lymm and from there head for culcheth,just b4 culcheth you can then head towards leigh and from there follow route 1;

Good luck with it anyway,hope it helps; Im based in Leigh so i know the routes quite well; You stopping over halfway?
  • geoffnelder
    geoffnelder Posts: 165
    Thanks, Badger. I know Warrington fairly well, though mainly the town centre and south of the Mersey as my father-in-law lives in Latchford. You've given me some leads - cheers

Geoff
  • Badger1973
    Badger1973 Posts: 12
    No probs; You know about the roundabouts then...lol. The lymm,culcheth and leigh way fairly quite; If you dont mind hills you could go Bolton,Bromley Cross,Edgeworth and Darwin way to blackburn;

Its just one big hill from bromley to edgeworth,nice scenery tho.

Badger.