New bike time!

Carlos Spicyweiner
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hey folks,

Probably inundated with requests like this but want to get some advice from people more knowledgable than I :oops:

I am just waiting on the bike-2-work window opening at work again to purchase a new bike - have been commuting the 8 mile round trip on an MTB for the best part of 4 years but am getting ready to shift to something a bit faster.

Can anyone recommend a good commuting bike in the region of £500-£600. Bearing in mind this is something that has to be ordered through Halfords :roll: (which means I'm likely to strip down and rebuild it as soon as I get it!).

Am looking for something with a bit of spec, light and able to get some speed behind it. There are a few hills on my commute also so something that can handle them is a plus. Also, thinking about getting panniers fitted as I am sick of wearing a backpack also!

Was thinking more towards a hybrid as I have ridden nothing but MTB's in my life and those curvy bars just make me shudder!!! :shock:

Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Someone should seriously creat a sticky entitled, "Which hybrid to buy from Halfords."

Not offence mate, but look through the posts over the last few pages and you will find all the answers you require.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Shame you can only choose Halfords (other shops will accept b2w vouchers meant for halfords).

Yeah, don't go for drop bars (many will try to persuade you to do so).

Check out the Boardman Hybrids in halfords, they have a couple in your price range, try them both and see what you like best.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    AndyManc wrote:
    Yeah, don't go for drop bars (many will try to persuade you to do so)...

Why not? If he wants a quick commute a Road Bike would be better than a Hybrid!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    cloggsy wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    Yeah, don't go for drop bars (many will try to persuade you to do so)...

Why not? If he wants a quick commute a Road Bike would be better than a Hybrid!

In my experience, no it wouldn't, especially over a 4 mile each way commute.

Hybrids are better to bung all your commuting kit on, panniers etc.

I went from mtb's to hybrids then a road bike, I've settled on my hybrid for commuting.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Someone should seriously creat a sticky entitled, "Which hybrid to buy from Halfords."

Not offence mate, but look through the posts over the last few pages and you will find all the answers you require.

No offence taken! Maybe I should have been more clear, I am not really wanting to stick to Halfords own range - just something mainstream enough for them to order in.

I know there have been previous similar posts but this is my first time buying anything other than an MTB and wanted to get advice regarding my own circumstances. Would rather get direct answers to my own query than go trawlin through pages of forum entries!

I currently own a Specialized Rockhopper and have had no problems so am quite partial to their bikes - was thinking a Sirrus Sport? Thoughts?
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    Halfords can order in any bike you want.

From memory you need to ring their advice line or speak to a decent member of staff.

The Merlin Road bike is nice on your price bracket.