Set a new personal record for snakebites today

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Not had a snakebite since last summer or any sort of puncture since well before Xmas. Today made up for that 3 in one bloomin ride. Was rattling down the landrover track at Rivington and Fssssh, arse wheel off spare inner out of pack double arse its a schraeder never mind I have another. Back on bike 100 yards later Fssssh O for fecks sake. patch up the 2 holes in the original tube and the hole in the 2nd tube ride off very carefully. Almost make it round the rest of the ride bike car almost in sight Fssssh. Treble arse cant be bothered fixing it so carry it down a short cut the last 100 yards. Just checked tube the usual double slit tube in bin.

Had a bad do with snakebites last year 3 or 4 rides all I seemed to do was swap tubes then it just stopped. Wonder if I have upset the snakebite god and who do I have to sacrifice to appease him.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Sounds like a perfect excuse to go tubeless if you ask me :P
  • stubs
    Tried tubeless and just couldnt get on with it. The final straw that broke my back was wrestling with a split tyre that was spraying sticky jizz everywhere. Couldnt get the bloody thing off the rim to fit an emergency tube it was freezing cold with hail going down the back of my neck and I did a john Cleese impression beat the wheel with a stick and swore on my mothers life never to go any where near the bastard system again.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Put more air in the tyre in the first place..... problem solved! :lol:
  • stubs
    The tyre got pumped up very hard after the 2nd puncture I was pinging off roots and rocks in Healey Nab woods. Had to let some air out or I wasnt going to stay tyre side down for long. :lol:
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    check there is not a tear in you tread i had this caused me to puncture alot until i found it .
  • stubs
    Its fine I checked it when I got back. The tyres are Schwalbe Nobby Nics dont know if they are snakebite prone but the tyre walls are condom thin might put my part worn Maxxis Ardents on they are a bit tougher.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I had my first pinch flat last weekend in 3 years of riding. ripped the sidewall of the tyre and everything :D

been waiting for it for a long time..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • stubs
    Lost your snakebite virginity :lol:
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    tore a new hole, It was quite an initiation
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Put more air in the tyre in the first place..... problem solved! :lol:
    + potato
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    I thought I had the worst luck the first time out with my 5 a couple of yearsago, with a front and then a rear punture within a couple of hundred yards. On the next couple of rides I had a punture each time too. I was convinced the bike was jinxed. Downhill tubes installed after that and only had 1 punture since.....touch wood!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The 5 should theoretically suffer the same weakness as my old wolf ridge, it was far more likely to pinch flat on square edged hits than most linkage based bikes - the pivot location sort of stalls the rear wheel's movement over such an obstacle.