Nice quality adjustable spanner

PenguinWithHair
PenguinWithHair Posts: 185
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hey all, I'm looking to buy a load of tools without handles (crank extractor, bottom bracket tool, freewheel remover) and was wondering what your thoughts were on a nice adjustable spanner for them. I'd rather something longer with plenty of leverage, but not so long I'm going to be stripping threads.

Or if you think a socket/ratchet handle would be more appropirate suggest away. To be honest something like a ratchet handle in my thinking is kinda, one more thing that is easier to break, but suggestions welcome!

Thought though - I'm just saying an adjustable spanner on the assumption the sizing for these tools isn't universal.

Comments

• I know this seems like a silly thread but, I've had some dodgy luck with these kind of things :(
  • jclem
    jclem Posts: 33
    I guess it depends how regularly you're going to use it. I've spent a bit on tools over the last few weeks as I'm doing an On One Inbred build. For some things I've used the 'handle-less' tools and an adjustable wrench but have just invested in a Cyclo torque wrench and am about to pop out to get a hex key socket set. If I was concerned about stripping threads, then I'd used a torque spanner or visit the LBS.
    To be honest, sites like Superstar do some decent tools with handles on and they're about the same price as the official tools.
    Something else to consider is getting a toolkit (like Lifestyle one at WIggle) as I reckon I;ve bought all those tools individually which has obviously cost more. Take your time, be critical about what you need and price it up.
    Hope that helps.
    Work Bike - Kona Honky Tonk 11
    Weekend Bike - Trek TCT5000
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Yeah an adjustable spanner would work on all the different sized flats you're likely to come across, but better still would be a few sockets which you can drive with a torque wrench (eg. I have a BB tool with 32mm flats, I bought a 32mm socket for about 3 quid off amazon which I drive with a 1/2" torque wrench).

Add a hex socket set and you're laughing. If you spend a little on a decent ratchet handle (something like Britool, Teng or Halfords professional range) you won't have to worry about breaking it.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Yeah an adjustable spanner would work on all the different sized flats you're likely to come across, but better still would be a few sockets which you can drive with a torque wrench (eg. I have a BB tool with 32mm flats, I bought a 32mm socket for about 3 quid off amazon which I drive with a 1/2" torque wrench).

Add a hex socket set and you're laughing. If you spend a little on a decent ratchet handle (something like Britool, Teng or Halfords professional range) you won't have to worry about breaking it.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I haven't bought many bike specific tools, but in the past I did a lot of work on cars, and I've always had a decent socket set.

Adjustable spanners are a huge problem in my view. Especially if something is on very tight. They are very difficult to adjust properly, and often end up rounding off the corners on a nut. If you don't have or want to buy a socket set then a set of the most common sizes of spanners is not very expensive. I like the ones with one end open and a ring of the same size on the opposite end, but you get them all open-ended with different sizes on each end of the same one.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Pigtail wrote:
    I haven't bought many bike specific tools, but in the past I did a lot of work on cars, and I've always had a decent socket set.

Adjustable spanners are a huge problem in my view. Especially if something is on very tight. They are very difficult to adjust properly, and often end up rounding off the corners on a nut. If you don't have or want to buy a socket set then a set of the most common sizes of spanners is not very expensive. I like the ones with one end open and a ring of the same size on the opposite end, but you get them all open-ended with different sizes on each end of the same one.

+1

Buy a decent socket set otherwise there will be tears..........
  • Thanks for the input guys. Maybe a socket set would be better, can anyone recommend me a nice quality socket handle, and a bike specific socket set - so I can get higher quality stuff for the money rather than getting a 10 million piece set and only use a couple bits. I did treat myself to one of those park tool starter sets which is quite nice. Although I have managed to break the wire brush somehow!

A lot of the socket handles I'm finding are a little on the short side. My bike gets used in all weather sadly so things like cranks, pedals, bottom brackets and freewheels tend to be quite stiff so more leverage the better :) Well, within reason... hehe

Thanks again.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    yeah adjustable spanners are ok but not on final tightening/loosening. Still useful to have though, use them in second place, or if have access problems with socket set
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Thanks for the input guys. Maybe a socket set would be better, can anyone recommend me a nice quality socket handle, and a bike specific socket set - so I can get higher quality stuff for the money rather than getting a 10 million piece set and only use a couple bits. I did treat myself to one of those park tool starter sets which is quite nice. Although I have managed to break the wire brush somehow!

A lot of the socket handles I'm finding are a little on the short side. My bike gets used in all weather sadly so things like cranks, pedals, bottom brackets and freewheels tend to be quite stiff so more leverage the better :) Well, within reason... hehe

Thanks again.

Try looking at the Halfords Pro range of tools, they're pretty cheap and good quality with it.
    They're usually on some kind of special offer. If they aren't, try and find a mate who's got a Halfords trade club card and they'll get a discount for you.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Thanks for the input guys. Maybe a socket set would be better, can anyone recommend me a nice quality socket handle, and a bike specific socket set - so I can get higher quality stuff for the money rather than getting a 10 million piece set and only use a couple bits. I did treat myself to one of those park tool starter sets which is quite nice. Although I have managed to break the wire brush somehow!

Thanks again.

Try looking at the Halfords Pro range of tools, they're pretty cheap and good quality with it.
    They're usually on some kind of special offer. If they aren't, try and find a mate who's got a Halfords trade club card and they'll get a discount for you.

I've got one of the large Halford Advanced Pro soccket sets and it is excellent but I have so many sockets and spanners I'll never use even on a my motorbike.

I got it in the sale and I reckon it was still cheaper than buying all the bits I may need individually.

I use a mixture of sockets and hex/allan keys with the 1/2" socket ratchet. So useful when the bike is on the workshop stand. The spanners are used less often. Lifetime warranty as long as you don't abuse the tools.

You can then add extras to the kit - for instance the hex keys do not go large enough for the BB on my mountain bike.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    just to answer the OP's question - I've got a couple of Bahco adjustables and they do the job - fine for bits and pieces but I wouldn't use one for heavy torquing.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Adjustables are the work of the devil. Only plumbers should use them. Whatever you do, buy good quality tools - they'll outlast you (I still have some of my grandfather's tools and he fought in WW1). Cheap tools or adjustables will just break or damage what you're trying to fix. You could buy individual sockets but it's an expensive way of buying. Better, as above, to buy Halford's Pro on promo (which they nearly always are) and choose a set appropriate to your budget & needs. Choose wisely and your grandkids will be using them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use an adjustable on my cassette lockring tool, it's just a cheapy one to but never let me down. I would agree with going down the socket and maybe torque wrench route though if your using it for other jobs on the bike
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The best (and only good) adjustable spanners are Bahco, made in Sweden. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a nice medium used one but I have a small one for my toolkit.

Its better to use the correct fixed size.
    Good old tools are much better than poor quality new ones. Start scanning the second hand shops and markets for quality tools. Forged ones, made in England, USA, Sweden or Germany are best.
  • Thanks for the input guys, for anyone wondering, I went with a pretty full on socket and spanner set after all! Cost a bit more and might not need all the bits at the moment, but I'm thinking of it more as an 'investment'.

Thanks again.
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    MichaelW wrote:
    The best (and only good) adjustable spanners are Bahco, made in Sweden. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a nice medium used one but I have a small one for my toolkit.

Good old tools are much better than poor quality new ones. Start scanning the second hand shops and markets for quality tools. Forged ones, made in England, USA, Sweden or Germany are best.

+1 You can find some old but excellent quality tools [adjustables included] at car boot sales. Made in England is always a good bet,
    A lot of these sellers can be clearing sheds etc and just want rid.
    Cheers, Scurry
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    MichaelW wrote:

+1 You can find some old but excellent quality tools [adjustables included] at car boot sales. Made in England is always a good bet,
    A lot of these sellers can be clearing sheds etc and just want rid.
    Cheers, Scurry
  • I have a jewel wrench too opens up a lil more extensive than the edges... Be that as it may, have two Ridgid spuds also I can state the Ridgid gets more utilize basically in light of the fact that the precious stone sits in a toolkit in the van those are in my pack constantly
  • champson
    champson Posts: 57
    Some things like a Campag cassette tool only work with an adjustable. In that case I would use:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-8072-a ... h-10/45954

A socket set is probably overkill for bikes, as most stuff can be done with 2.5 - 5mm hex keys. A better investment might be a torque wrench set with various hex keys included. If you wanted to get a socket set for other reasons then take your pick:

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/socket ... =cat810120
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another candidate for Graveyard Dig of the Year. Nice first post......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D