Tubeless with non tubeless tyres - lesson learned?

pilsburypie
pilsburypie Posts: 891
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Got tubeless ready rims and previously ran tubeless ready tyres with sealant. I thought I'd try and save a few g's of the wheels by running the same tyre but not tubeless ready with sealant saving approx 150g (2.25 high roller).

I've been doing this for a good few months, done a downhill uplift day and have given them some stick with no probs until yesterday. Did a smallish jump but landed badly where your front wheel hits the ground at an angle as opposed to square on. A loud bang and a close call from binning it let me know the tyre had come clean off the rim. Wasn't running particularly low pressures at 30psi. Sealant spunked all over the trail and no chance reseating the bead on the rim with a small pump left my mate to save the day with his spare tube.

Do you think this would have happened with my tubeless ready tyre? Will definitely carry a tube now and may move back to the heavier tubeless tyres

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    ive never had that happen with tyres designed for use without tubes but i have had that happen when converting a regular tyre

i alwys use tubeless ready tyres now.
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    I never had it with tubeless ready tyres either. Will probably put the ready one back on.

It is hard to say though if in exactly the same circumstance if the ready tyre would have popped off. I may never recreate the exact same scenario - well hopefully I'll land better next time! :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I actually had this happen for the first time ever (without the bang), on a NORMAL tyre last week. My Kenda nevegal got pulled off the rim :shock:

(I had it happen loads on tubeless conversions)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Happened to me with normal maxxis advantages being run tubeless. It wasn't even anything 'extreme', just popped a super-sick wheelie, dropped the wheel back down on gravelly ground and it kind of collapsed and skewed off. When I got up and picked the gravel out of my skin I realised the tyre was hanging off the rim.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I've done exactly that on Tubeless ready tyres. My mate and I....same impact - both took a Bonty Mud Out off the rim and both needed a tube to get home. He even split the side of his on the rim...needed a boot and a tube. I got away with a spare tube.

I think it was a combo of it being a low volume tyre and flimsier sidewall than full on UST. Has been great for general XC..