Repeated play in rear wheel.

RupertCommunicator
RupertCommunicator Posts: 734
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear wheel often develops play in it. I've tried tightening up the cone nuts by hand and by bodge, which fixes it, but only works for a few miles. Do I need to invest in some proper cone spanners to get them really tight, or is my rear hub fooked.

It's a Shimano QR hub. Not expensive, OEM with my bike.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to do up the lock nuts properly. Cone spanners are easier, but any spanner thin enough will work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just had the same problem with some second hand wheels I'd brought.

Kept tighnting them up but a few miles, same problem.

You I needed two cone spanners, one to tighten the first cone and then hold it whilst I tighnted up the second to lock it in place.

It took me a few goes to get it right as I'd never done it before.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Woah woah woah woah woah. Slow down. Firstly, if you want the wheels to last, buy a cone wrench (usually 15mm for rear wheel cones, 13mm for front) and do the job properly. Follow this guide and you can't go wrong.

I serviced my hubs for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they feel a lot better for it. The cones don't want to be that tight otherwise you'll knacker your hub in no time, same goes for if it's rattling about when you're riding. CRC were cheapest for cone wrenches with cheapy combi ones for £7 and individual Park ones for ~£8 each. You almost certainly be able to use a normal 17mm spanner for the lock nuts, but you really do need a cone wrench to hold the cone steady whilst you tighten them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Woah woah woah woah woah. Slow down.

?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The lock nuts need to be really, really tight.

If all else fails try a bit of threadlock on the lock nut. My Park cone spanners are scarred from tightening Shimano hubs, they're a pain in the arse to service/adjust IMO.