More exp bikes, ticking noise when moving forwards.

j4mesj4mes
j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello,

After hearing some bikes the other day, I noticed the more expensive ones seem to tick as they move. It sounds similar to when you back pedal but when they are going forwards. What is it that makes this noise?

Thank you

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you mean the freehub clicking?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • j4mesj4mes
    possibly, although im not sure what that is. Whats the purpose of it clicking?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you listen carefully the clicking is saying Look at me, look at me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    cooldad wrote:

absolutely correct :wink:
  • j4mesj4mes
    although hilarious, I would still like to know the real answer for learning purposes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Different designs, stronger pawl springs, freehubs needing minimal lubrication.
    It's a result, not a purpose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It does that to tell everyone you have got expensive hubs. Chris King hubs make an even more expensive noise
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    edited June 2011
    My front end was ticking at the weekend when my front brakes ran out of pad and the spreader was getting shaved by the rotar! :|
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It does that to tell everyone you have got expensive hubs. Chris King hubs make an even more expensive noise
    But all hubs will make the same noise when moving forward and freewheeling as they do when still and backpedalling.

Some hubs are noisier than others due to the design, but when pedalling they won't click. When freewheeling they do, as do all hubs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    simplest comparison is to a ratchet. Twist it to tighten a bolt, silent, twist it back the other way, the ratchet ticks - hubs are basically ratchets, hence the noise when your not pedalling....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not all hubs are noisy. My Formula & Shimano hubs are virtually silent but my Hope Pro 2 is ticks very loudly & my mates Chris King hub almost screams.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:

Thats right it does, very useful when hurtling down a bridleway and you want the grannies to get out of the way, far more effective than a bell.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Not all hubs are noisy. My Formula & Shimano hubs are virtually silent but my Hope Pro 2 is ticks very loudly & my mates Chris King hub almost screams.

But it still clicks, and it clicks the same when freewheeling as it does when backpedalling.

It sounded like the OP thought it was something special that only happened when moving forwards.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    i dint know this either so glad i read this thread! i was also worried about mine being abit clicky but not now ive read this :D