9 speed ring with 10 speed chain

john lynch
john lynch Posts: 81
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,just wondering if a 10 speed chain will work with a nine speed outer ring?
thanks
lapierre zesty 714

Comments

• Some definitely do. I am using the Renthal SR4 which is claimed to work with 7,8,9 & 10 speed chains, and it works fine with my 10 speed set up.

I would suspect it will be fine, but I am no expert, so don't take my word for it!
  • john lynch
    thanks for the info
    you might not agree with this, i want to change the xt outer 10speed 42 ring to a 44
    but cant get a 10speed outer only a 9, just wondering if a 9 would work with a 10 speed chain.
    lapierre zesty 714
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    In theory, a 9 speed cog is fractionally wider than a 10 speed. In practice chain wear says it will fit. Thats why 10 and 9 speed chains are sold differently, the 10 is narrower
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • john lynch
    will the chain slip on the cog???
    lapierre zesty 714
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    No, the teeth are the same shape, just the cogs are thinner sideways and spaced closer together as you need to fit 10 rears in the same space as a 9, therefore front cogs are slightky thinner and chain thinner to suit

Just the same as a 9 speed chain is thinner than an 8

Ideally you should stick to all 9 or all 10 (8,7) kit as they are all made to the same tolerances, but the differenc is small and you can normaly get a mix and match to work (apart from the rear shifters of course). its just that there probablky will be some free play or tighter fit somewhere that could lead to increased wear. But to be honest is probabky no more than having different makes mixed due to the slight differences in tolerances
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seems to work fine with the testing I have done. Front mech should match the chainrings for best shifts though.
  • john lynch
    hi just run though it all
    x0 shifters 3x10
    x0 rear mech
    shimano cassette
    shimano chain
    shimano xt front mech
    lapierre zesty 714
  • supersonic
    You need to list exact models and speeds ;-)
  • john lynch
    shifters sram x0 2011 3x10
    rear mech 2011 10speed long cage
    front mech shimano xt fd-m770-10 2011 10speed
    cassette shimano cs-hg-81-10 2011
    chain shimano hg-x 10speed 2011
    lapierre zesty 714
  • supersonic
    The nine speed will work, but the 10 speed chain will work that bit better.
  • john lynch
    thank you!!!!
    lapierre zesty 714
  • john lynch
    hi all,just to let you know works great
    thanks everyone!!!
    lapierre zesty 714