Anyone else trying NOT to lose weight?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I see a lot of weight loss threads in relation to commuting.

I on the other hand weigh a paltry 10st in my shoes. Used to be a solid 12-13st, but since developing chrohns disease some time ago I don't really gain weight easily.

Doing 50-75 miles a week on the bike at the moment, I'm hoping my skinny little legs will start to muscle up without the rest of me wasting away. Eating lots of protein where I can and getting porridge in before each ride to work.

Considering doing some mild weights and core exercises to balance it out a bit, but I'm a bit lazy so will prob need to force myself to get into a routine.

Any other Mr Muscle types out there struggling to keep the weight on?
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Yup, did solid gym 3x a week for 9 months to go from 66kg to 75kg but now only go once a week to do core workout (triathlon is priority at the mo) and dropped to 72kg.

For me the weight has gone probably due to eating less tbh, its hard to cycle 40miles in a day & eat enough to gain weight!
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Erm... No :oops:
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    age? sex? height?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I'm 6 ft 3 and happy with my 13st but my Missus is constantly complaining about my skinny legs. I used to run a lot until biking took over and now I bike and eat as much as I want and have stuck at 13 st for years.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I can not loose weight without even trying.
    I would even go as far as to say that I'm rather proficient at it!
    Graham.

By the way. You did mean lose did'nt you?
  • supertwisted
    Graham. wrote:
    I can not loose weight without even trying.
    I would even go as far as to say that I'm rather proficient at it!
    Graham.

By the way. You did mean lose did'nt you?

Ha - yes i did, stupid ipad autocorrect... :oops:
  • kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    You won't build much muscle doing endurance exercise like cycling no matter how much protein you eat. If you want leg muscle then you'll need to do something like barbell squats, or, if you don't have any weights, single leg squats.

For upper body, some chin-ups, press-ups and dips will keep you from wasting away. The most important thing is to ensure that you're working at the correct intensity. Add resistance (backpack with heavy things in it) until you can only complete 5-8 reps, and then steadily increase the weight as you get stronger. Doing three sets of each exercise once or twice a week should be fine, and then try an eat something relatively high in protein straight after.
  • supertwisted
    kamiokande wrote:
    You won't build much muscle doing endurance exercise like cycling no matter how much protein you eat. If you want leg muscle then you'll need to do something like barbell squats, or, if you don't have any weights, single leg squats.

For upper body, some chin-ups, press-ups and dips will keep you from wasting away. The most important thing is to ensure that you're working at the correct intensity. Add resistance (backpack with heavy things in it) until you can only complete 5-8 reps, and then steadily increase the weight as you get stronger. Doing three sets of each exercise once or twice a week should be fine, and then try an eat something relatively high in protein straight after.

Cheers for the advice. That sounds quite manageable, as it happens i saw a cheap chin bar in asda yesterday but didnt buy it - might go back for another look.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Whatever you do don't become a goth. Goth lads usually manage to find no problem in achieving the desired look; sickly, wasted, drug addicted, cadaverous, pale, grave fodder who would shrivel up in direct sunlight. This is not healthy or intended to be and would be BAD FOR YOU!!!! Thier womenfolk, by contrast, usually look to be healthy, bonny, statuesque specimens of the sort we used to describe as being a credit to school milk, and whose already low self esteem would be made worse by their failure to ride around the block without hyperventilating (I have never seen a gothette on a bicycle). This is not healthy or intended to be and would be BAD FOR YOU!!!!

Seriously, If you are worried about this, get your GP to refer you to a proper dietician. The NHS isn't just for when you are ill, you know.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    try other types of biking, track and MTB tends to favour and build beefier bodies than the road racers.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Stupid question I guess for someone obviously web literate - but did you look at the pig threadworm data?

Personally (and I have close relative experience of Chrones) I'd rather have a coupla worms in my gut and have the whole issue go away than have half of the aformentioned gut chopped out (ala sister in law).

If you haven't checked it out have a look......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    I've put on half a stone since doubling my commute to 16 miles each way. I think I may be overdoing the consumption of "energy food" during the day...
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Im trying to stay where I am now

but I can either lose

or

gain

hummmmm, its quite a fine balancing act TBH
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    50-75 miles per week isn't that much; and if you're eating breakfast, the morning ride might give you an appetite (for 2nd breakfasts) when you get to work?
    Mrs Meanie's 55kg and cycles twice that for commuting, it's hard to keep her fuelled and me hungry at the same time.
    Basically, sport & nutirtion go together (despite what all the books say :) ). If you're putting the miles in, you have to put the food in too. Man up and eat some!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • supertwisted
    SimonAH wrote:
    Stupid question I guess for someone obviously web literate - but did you look at the pig threadworm data?

Personally (and I have close relative experience of Chrones) I'd rather have a coupla worms in my gut and have the whole issue go away than have half of the aformentioned gut chopped out (ala sister in law).

If you haven't checked it out have a look......

I've looked into some helminthic studies, all seem very positive.
    I had to have emergency surgery earlier this year after a complication turned nasty, since that I've been in remission fortunately so haven't really had to consider any extra treatments, but if it does return I would certainly prefer a gut full of wormies than the oral steroids and/or nsaids the doctors would prescribe.
  • supertwisted
    50-75 miles per week isn't that much; and if you're eating breakfast, the morning ride might give you an appetite (for 2nd breakfasts) when you get to work?
    Mrs Meanie's 55kg and cycles twice that for commuting, it's hard to keep her fuelled and me hungry at the same time.
    Basically, sport & nutirtion go together (despite what all the books say :) ). If you're putting the miles in, you have to put the food in too. Man up and eat some!

Ha - I eat like food like a hot furnace eats coal. Just doesn't always translate to weight gain for me. But I seem to be holding steady at the moment which is good.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I find alcohol helps when trying to bulk up :arrow: FRIDGE
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Normally I'm one of those people that keeps their weight around the same but found with cycling every day I wasn't eating enough & getting dizzy sometimes - plus I was doing karate/weights 4 or so times a week. I now eat more (still prob not enough) and have put on 4 or 5lb but its not fat & I don't get the dizziness. I still need to eat more than I do though & reckon there's another 5 or 6lb I can gain just by eating/training properly.

Upper body/core/arms/shoulders are what I concentrate on using free weights & an incline bench - cheap on eBay from those people who want to do it then can't be bothered :)

5'9 & 72kg. I got the dizziness checked out by a doctor as well just in case.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I am 36 and still weight the same 10 and a half stone I weighed when I was 18, tried everything to bulk up but nothing helps. I eat like a pig but still wear 30 waist trousers :roll:

Cycling has bulked up my legs a bit and pushups have defined my arms but no real weight increase, guess I am destined to be a skinny bloke (Racing snake) :)