Carbon forks to replace stock alloy ones on a Trek 7.3fx

skdotcom
skdotcom Posts: 56
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I have a 2010 Trek 7.3fx which I use for commuting to work. When I first bought the bike I had issues with pains in my hands, and have sorted this to some extent with Bontrager carbon bar ends and spesh BG gel gloves.
It's still not prefect so was thinking about upgrading the forks to carbon ones.

Assuming this is a sensible upgrade (?), I'm at a bit of a loss as to what spec of forks I need that will be suitable for this bike.

I've seen these on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44284 , would these work?
edit , perhaps these would be more suitable, http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FOVASLX/van-nicholas-vnt-slx-carbon-touring-fork-700c

Any help would be welcome

Thanks
Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
Boardman Hybrid Team
Raleigh Equipe Fixie
Kona Dew Drop

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I love my 7.3 fx , I've not had any probs with vibration.

I use spesh 'rubberised' bar ends, rarely use the flat bar grips.

Are you sure the bike is set up right for you, seat not too high, bars not too low ?

I'm no expert on forks either , but I would avoid buying till you've tried changing the set up.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • skdotcom
    I have changed the set up to make the bike a bit faster. I've put 25c tyres on and keep them at 120psi. Also I've rotated the handlebars round so I have a more stretched out riding position, and replaced the seat with a Specialized Avatar.

I have spent quite a long time adjusting seat height and handlebar position so that I've got a position that feels comfortable.

The only problem that remains is aching hands. The bar ends and gloves have helped alot, but given that I intend to keep hold of this bike for a while, I can justify spending some money on upgrades such as carbon forks to improve it more.
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Looks like you've set up your bike for speed instead of comfort, skinny (ish) tyres and 120psi won't help.

I've always thought that steel absorbs vibration more than carbon :?

You could knock the psi to 100 but you're probably set on new forks.

A friendly knowledgeable LBS is always an advantage.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • I would agree that a rigid steel forks would help. Steel, after all, is real!
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • skdotcom
    I would agree that a rigid steel forks would help. Steel, after all, is real!

David, you need to get a new quote....
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    what type of brakes does your bike have? Just checking because one of the forks you've posted has cantilever posts and the other doesn't. searching the web for that bike it appears to have v-brakes in which case you need you'll need something like the planet-x fork you linked to.

or this:
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... Cross_Fork

or this
    http://www.shinybikes.com/deda-black-cr ... -boss.html

I'm not endorsing these forks or the shops by the way but they are the type of thing you need

A carbon fork is not going to completely revolutionise your comfort though, they help but they only take a bit of buzz and shock out - so don't expect the world.

an alternative but probably more expensive solution would be to convert to using drop handlebars. Thye give you more positions to put your hands so you're less likely to end up numb. It's just one of the drawbacks of flat bars, that they only give you one place to put your hands - or a couple if you add bar ends.
  • skdotcom
    Hey, thanks for the reply above. I've got a road bike, so wouldn't consider adding drop handlebars.

My parents in law live 50 yards round the corner from the fatbirds store, so think I may pay them a visit - the store, not my parents in law ;)
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop