I have a cold

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,059
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
It's not yet man-flu but you never know.

Anyway this is the 2nd cold in less than 4 weeks which is more than I've had in the last 4 years, now then is it the offices at my new job? our aircon is shite!

Is it all the rain lately?

Is it being stuck on the train for 6+ hours? (plague-fest)

Is it commuting in the rain forever ....?

Am i just old :cry:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• I say just getting old like me :wink:
  • itboffin
    I say just getting old like me :wink:

Your not too far away for me to pop up there and push your zimmer over.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    All of the above I reckon . Not a good set of parameters.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    To avoid catching colds when riding in the rain always remember to MTFU first. BTW a cold is caused by a virus, not weather.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • itboffin
    Cold is gone - we played a game of how many beerZ and drugs can you handle ....?

I won :twisted:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have all the above with the exception of the train journey and I haven't had a cold for months - PT mate - its a breeding ground
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,441
    Cold may be gone but how's the hangover?
    A few years back when having chemo my immune system was shot and I was told by the quacks not to go near public transport because of all the bugs and nastiness. Good advice I still heed today.
  • itboffin
    Shocking hangover, that'll teach me to drink 5 large bottles of beer, no dinner, night nurse and a handful of codeine.

And the short run I just went on was fecking horrible - i'm going back to bed :?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,957
    It's the occasional PT use that does it. When I regularly indulged, over and underground, I'm sure I developed pretty tough immune system from wallowing in the miasma.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    For me, i honestly think cycling makes me ill.

Push a bit too hard on the bike, immune system is lowered, someone sneezes 50ft away and thats me out for a week. must have had 8 or 9 bouts of illness in the last 12 months, which is more than i've had in the preceding decade, and by no coincidence times perfectly with my stepping up the riding to a more serious level.

Still, i'm not going to stop, as i am hoping the old body will MTFU and deal with it, and i will henceforth have earned the immune system of superman.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,957
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's the occasional PT use that does it. When I regularly indulged, over and underground, I'm sure I developed pretty tough immune system from wallowing in the miasma.

And as if to prove the point, I seem to have picked up something from Friday night's rain avoidance on First Capital Connect. :evil:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    rjsterry wrote:
    And as if to prove the point, I seem to have picked up something from Friday night's rain avoidance on First Capital Connect. :evil:

Me too :( First time I've taken the train two days running since starting to cycle to work in Feb and first cold. Another reason to avoid PT!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,262
    New office, new bacteria and viruses.

You've basically got a middle-aged freshers' flu.