RS 80's

hubcap
hubcap Posts: 163
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Have been looking at the RS 80 wheels but not sure if I will be too heavy for them at 95 kg, any heavier riders out there with experience of them? I understand Shimano don't put a rider limit on them but don't want to be snapping spokes every 5 minutes!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You'll be fine. You lardy get.;)
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    You speaking from experience Nap? :wink:
  • mattup
    mattup Posts: 11
    I have a pair of RS80's. I am a chunky 92Kg rugby player and not very gentle with my bike. I trued them up from new and haven't touched them since.

Good wheels.

Matt
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hubcap wrote:
    Ha ha ha .....
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Seems the latest rs80's have new decals and black spokes according to the merlin thread
  • Anonymous
    Hubcap wrote:

In all seriousness, yes! I weighed 95kg when I had my Dura Ace ones, same rim. No problems at all...
  • twoodley
    twoodley Posts: 80
    I am 105kg and currently ride RS10's which have the same spoke count.
    Wheels are still true, so assuming the 80's are a better quality, 95kg should be no problem
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Anyone got experience of the RS80 and the Dura Ace wheels. From what I understand their just different hubs. Am in the market for a new set of wheels in the next month hopefully. Is there much difference between the two??
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,898
    Skerryman wrote:
    Is there much difference between the two??

About 100 grams. And that weight is at the hubs as they use the same rim.

Obviously the Dura Ace bearings in the hubs are a bit better as well.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Thanks for that, you reckon the Dura Ace are worth the €300 or so extra. Its a pretty big difference in price. I'm upgrading from a set of Easton Vista SL's which come in at a tad under 1700g, so about 300g heavier than the Dura Ace and 200g more than the RS80. Don't want to upgrade to something too close to what I have and find that I don't notice as much of a difference as I'd hoped.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have RS80s on my Cayo and weigh that sort of amount - 1000 commuting miles since I fitted them and they're great.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I have RS80s on my Cayo and weigh that sort of amount - 1000 commuting miles since I fitted them and they're great.

Does it stiffen up the Cayo much?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Does it stiffen up the Cayo much?

Hmm - difficult to say - it certainly feels more comfortable and responsive than with the RS10s that it came with. I really feel confident in chucking the bike about accurately.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I had a set of RS80s, and whilst they span up nicely, personally I didn't find them stiff enough for me (6'4" 76kgs). I much much prefer my powertap rear wheel (dt520, 28h 3x sapim race) as it makes the bike (TCR advanced) feel that bit more positive in a sprint. I think there's a roadcc review somewhere that tested them as fairly flexy too? I rode a cayo with the dura-ace version of the wheels the other day and it didn't feel snappy at all comparitively, although I imagine that's the combination of the frame and wheels.

Personally, it weight is reasonable I'd go for stiffness any day. Handbuilt wheels might be a better option at that price, perhaps ird cadence aeros with a decent spoke count? That said, they were well built so I doubt you'd be popping spokes if that was your major concern.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    I too didn't find them (the dura ace ones) the stiffest wheels but they were plenty strong enough.
    Funnily enough I now use/race on a 32h powertap/open pro rear and a 24h IRD road/cx ray/extralight SX front and find I prefer stiff to light... Although the front is only 600g.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Nap you were singing the praises of the comfort the softer RS80s gave, over the harsh ride my stiff Ksyrium Elites gave.

You can't have it both ways. Was it a blond day?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Anonymous
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Nap you were singing the praises of the comfort the softer RS80s gave, over the harsh ride my stiff Ksyrium Elites gave.

You can't have it both ways. Was it a blond day?

Que?

I did prefer the ride of the shimanos. I did find the ksyriums too harsh. They are stiffer, but they are harsher too. However the wheels I use at the moment are stiff yet less harsh than ksyriums....
    The best ones out there for stiffness and ride quality IME are Mavic RSys.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The RSys have carbon spokes. These would absorb some high frequency vibration but would have zero comfort for road imperfections.

Surely the more spring like the spokes, the more comfy the ride, the more flexy the wheel. There is nowhere else for the comfort to come from. The RSys has to be the antithesis to all this.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2011
    Double post
  • Anonymous
    It was in my experience, not based on what a hypothesis says 'should' happen.

Wheels will never cover for road imperfections as much as tyres/tyre pressure.

Flexy does not necessarily mean comfortable, just as stiff does not mean harsh.

Some wheels are stiff and harsh - I found my Ksyriums to be like this, albeit excellent wheels.

I found the Dura Ace wheels were not quite as stiff but a lot less harsh.

I found the RSys very stiff indeed but also very smooth, however I only had the RSys for a week on test, at the time they were twice the price I could get the Dura Ace wheels for so I went with those...