What should I be doing after a ride?

tomwardill
tomwardill Posts: 21
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've been riding for a couple of years, and am now at the point where I feel I should be doing more maintenance than the odd squirt of GT85 on the chain and a power wash after each ride.

If I've been out riding, what should I do? I'm riding a full suss, so any hints with looking after suspension would be good, what lubricants I should buy, when to apply, etc. Bike is now roughly a year old, so what should I be checking/replacing?

Also, any idea roughly what time table I should be checking various bits? (Such as, after ~6 months, check that the bottom bracket isn't rattling, etc).

I've got the Zinn book, but while it's great for telling me to do stuff and diagnosing problems, it's not that great for a 'maintenance and care' timetable.

I realise it's not an exact science, but a rough guide for when to check/do stuff, and what to do directly after a ride would be fantastic.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got any manuals with the bike? Service intervals for parts are often listed.

You wanting to be doing a basic check of QR and bolt tightness before every ride.

Spin the wheels and check spokes say once a week.

I'd check bearings and pivots once a month. Usually just feeling for play or grittiness will suffice.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    POWER WASH :shock:
    if that is using a pressure washer thats not good.
    Gentle hose down to remove mud is all that is necassary.

Chain lube after a ride.
    Periodically clean the chain properly using degreaser.

And you should really check chain and cassette wear periodically but unless it is slipping its fine.
    And possibly bleed brakes every 6 months to a year.
    Check bolts aren't coming loose.
    And obviously check tyre pressures.
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    tomwardill wrote:
    and a power wash after each ride

Generally it's best to avoid power washing if possible, it tends to be a really good way of blasting water into parts that it otherwise wouldn't reach. You're better off with a bucket of water and a sponge, your bearings will be happier for it :-)
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Yes jet washing is really bad news for the bearings !

Chain lube, chain cleaner periodically, always check for slack in the headtube in case the steerer has come loose, the brake pads still have plenty of meat on them, the rear mech isn't full of crud and is still aligned, and possibly loosen off the seatpost and move a bit to prevent it seizing in ! And while cleaning check for cracks or damage just in case :wink:
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Is using a jet wash on the very lowest setting still bad?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have pressurised water hitting any bearing seal, yes!

As for what to do after a ride - pint of Beer sounds spot on!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If you have pressurised water hitting any bearing seal, yes!

As for what to do after a ride - pint of Beer sounds spot on!

Simon

What a load of bull, I've been using my Nomad 18v pressure washer for ages on the bike and not once have the bearings become degreased etc.

Low PSI will not damage bearings and yes I have used a high powered (car washer thingy) pressure washer on my bike and fooked up the bottom bracket doing so last year, so I can tell the difference.
  • +1 for using pressure washers.

I've used them for years and all my seals are still fine.

I'm just careful how I use it. Yes, if you make it do a solid jet of water into your bearings at point blank range it will swap grease for water, but I just don't do that! Using it on the fan setting from a reasonable distance still saves loads of times on the frame, drivetrain and wheels.

Normally in winter after a ride I pressure wash it (carefully :P) followed by a drying off with cloths. Then I lube the drivetrain, check it is still correctly adjusted and check all my bolts. I give the bars a push with the front brake on to check the headset isn't moving and then pull my saddle side to side to check there is no play in the rear suspension.

In Summer I tend to only wash it when dust builds up and gets mixed with lube forming transmission sludge. Ride to ride I just lube it up then go and ride!

Periodically there are other things to do, like lubing QR wheel skewers, greasing the seat QR, greasing the seatpost, cleaning and lubing fork and shock seals, cleaning and re-greasing cable inners, checking suspension air pressure, tyre pressures, re-greasing hubs, changing fork oil etc etc etc...... :shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe some confusion here between low pressure power washers and jetwashers such as you find at garage car washes.
    Low pressure should be fine, just don't aim it at delicate bits.
    Jetwashers are evil.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LittleEuge
    LittleEuge Posts: 41
    I give my bike a good clean after every ride, I use a leaf blower to dry it so I can get all the water out of the cogs etc (although i do get funny looks from passer by).....

Followed by a degrease and scrub with a toothbrush of the chain, cranks and rear cogs and mech, then re-lube. Remove break pads and clean, clean out calipers. Squirt a bit of bike spary on the front and rear suspension and back in the garage it goes until the next ride.

Takes me about 1.5 hours.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I use a leaf blower to dry it so I can get all the water out of the cogs etc (although i do get funny looks from passer by).....

Yeah, that is a little bit novel.

Q: What should I be doing after a ride?

A: Climbing onto a podium.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lube the chain occasionally. Inspect things when they make funny noises, or are acting strangely.
    Simples :D
  • tomwardill
    tomwardill Posts: 21
    Lube the chain occasionally. Inspect things when they make funny noises, or are acting strangely.
    Simples :D

This is pretty much what I've been doing. I'll carry on then!

Yes, the 'jet washer' is just a cheap pressure hose thingy, and I'm careful not to hit the BB and the headset with it. Cleans properly stuck on mud off pretty easily.

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Really, that is all you need to do. Perhaps wipe the fork stanchions/shock slider from time-to-time.

Water, washing and degreasers will kill a bike quicker than anything.
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Yeh, but when riding in filthy weather a lot of the time and often in gritty places like the Peaks, it must be best to wash off the gritty mud each ride. I was hoping not to have to wash the bike much over the summer but so far it's mostly been as mucky as winter!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • ruggerbugger
    ruggerbugger Posts: 128
    Drink beer & get ready for next ride! lol