XT Hubs

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
It's official, and I don't care what anyone says. XT hubs are the biggest load of shit on the planet.

The rims are however, quite good. Can I stick a hope hub on instead? Or should I just get a whole new wheelset?

Since i have had the thing one has been replaced under warranty, service issues every couple of months tops and now trying to do it myself...it's possible but fiddly and I don't get the time.

Thoughts

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thoughts?
    Erm, well it only takes about 10-20 minutes to service a hub, and they can run for a long time indeed without servicing, if done properly.

But yes, you CAN stick any hub on any rim. Surprisingly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16986150
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16995485
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#16997842

Hub problems, chainsuck, creaks, BB issues, idiot mechanics, bad service.

Maybe a bit of time spent on maintenance would be time well spent. Probably takes less time than schlepping to a workshop each time.

I have some Shimano hubs that are almost 25 years old and still on original bearings, so a bit of love and grease goes a long way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mccraque
    agreed, cooldad....and that is where I have spent this afternoon - on a maintenance course.

And yes - I am not too happy about how much maintaining the bike actually needs. Perhaps I will trade it in for an Orange 5....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What code hubs are they? M765?
  • Mccraque
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not Shimanos best offerings, as the rear has smaller than usual bearings, and needs more frequent servicing. However this is a 10 min job at most with the right tools, once you get the hang of it.

If you want a new hub, it will cost ie new spokes, labour to debuild and rebuild the wheel. Cheaper to get a new wheelset.
  • Mccraque
    I thought that may be the case, as was getting at in my initial post. Shame though...the rims are great but the hubs just get on my rod. I can service them myself now. A bit fiddly but do-able....
  • Anonymous
    Mccraque wrote:
    And yes - I am not too happy about how much maintaining the bike actually needs. Perhaps I will trade it in for an Orange 5....
    I can't even tell if you're taking the pi** anymore, so I'll just point out that if you DID get a 5, then NONE of these things you're having problems with would go away.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everyone knows Orange 5's are like Terminator 2. Just not as pretty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mccraque
    yes..~I was taking the piss with the 5 comment. But not on the problems with the zesty.

Curiously - I also own a Boardman HT...and that thing is indestructable whereas the Zesty has been a nightmare. I ride the thing 2 or 3 times a week for 50 miles...and the thing just drops apart on me. Amazingly.....not the french bits.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Erm, well it only takes about 10-20 minutes to service a hub

My ancient White Industries hubs use cartridge bearings that cost 2.50 a pair on ebay and take under five minutes a pair to install. No grease, no mess, no hassle.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    unixnerd wrote:
    Erm, well it only takes about 10-20 minutes to service a hub

My ancient White Industries hubs use cartridge bearings that cost 2.50 a pair on ebay and take under five minutes a pair to install. No grease, no mess, no hassle.
    Well done.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    on my 775 hubs, i purchased an extra plastic cage to hold the bearings on one side, as shimano deemed that you only needed one cage on one side, made it almost impossible to service the hub

once i installed cages on both sides, used loctite to "fix" the locking nuts and so on, plenty of grease, between the bearings and outer seals to reduce contamination of the bearings, my hubs are a bit rough, but seem to spin ok,

have serviced the rear hub 5 times or so in 2 years and 6 months, the cost of grease, plastic cage, loctite, and 2 sets of bearings, front is untouched
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Mccraque
    i did find that only having a bearing cage one side was a little odd.trying to get them to seat properly was a little tricky