OT: Blu-Ray Discs

marchant
marchant Posts: 362
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm not asking for advice about players, or setup or any of that business, but does anyone have any recommendations for films with particularly good transfers or worthy extras? Emphasis toward horror/science fiction would be appreciated, Rom-Com will be treated with the contempt it deserves :)

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    High-Def Digest is an awesome resource for this.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    lastant wrote:
    High-Def Digest is an awesome resource for this.

You're now my bestest mate! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    marchant

just watched Tangled :wink: 7.1 DTS-HD MA :lol:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and Tron, Inception,Toy story 3.

o idea what it was like on BR but the HD DVD version of 2001 was/is awesome.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Anything with DTS !

Slightly OT, Ratatouille is excellent, prob best cartoon film I have seen the transfer second to none.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I just utterly geeked out on Paul :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Who has blu ray, I have given up on technology, so Hi Def TV is to be replaced with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High ... Television

Blu ray has a life expected to be about another three years and what next, already phones are available with 10mp cameras AND laser projectors, whatever you buy this year is past it 12 months from now, I will stick with my 8 year old DVD, and my father still has VHS :wink:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Avatar is a good transfer. Shame about the film though. Tron, Watchmen and the Dark Knight are also good transfers.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The trouble is with older films, although film has the same line res as blu ray, some film stock that was used was very grainy and because blu ray is the same res it shows it up where as dvd tended to flatter the image as it softened it all out.

One of the two worst ones for grain are the first superman film and close encounters.

Most modern films, unless they really screw up, the transfers will all be perfect especially with 3d rendered films like toy story 1,2,3 as they are already digital.

If you like Bond films, they did an incredible amount of work during the transfer including scanning the original film master at 4k resolution (nearly always 4096 x 2304) and then cleaning up any scratches first by a bit of automatic software then if any were too hard to do with that by hand frame by frame. It shows too in the picture quality.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Completely off genre but any cyclist (or person who appreciates good cinematography!) should own Life Cycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgaSTuwp7I
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Reckon a couple of Pixar releases, plus Tron Legacy will be next on the shopping list. Akira will be out next week, so I might wait for that (I remember seeing it at the Scala cinema in London)