Rebound settings

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
I have just got my new rebas today (Yet to be fitted), After doing some reading i fully understand about setting sag and can not see any problems in doing so myself, But when it comes to rebound how do i know when i have it set up right? Obviously + gives quicker rebound and - gives slower rebound, but what is the happy medium for a nice ride?

Alternative if anyone could give me a link or two i am happy to go away an read about it im not just being lazy, i did google it but surprisingly didn't come up with much

many thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I thought it said in the manual!

A good starting point is a setting that allows the front end to return at a speed so it is ready for the next bump, but not too fast as it fires back at you , or two slow as it packs down over repeated bumps.

Start in the middle and see how it feels.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do Rockshocks still have a rabbit and a tortoise?
    Much easier as technically + I would read as more rebound damping, so slower rebound.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • toastedone
    Yes these have rabbit and a tortoise
  • cooldad
    Much easier
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, hare and the tortoise kind of makes sense, initially, but then, in the old story, who won the race, the tortoise or the hare, eh? eh? eh?
    Still confusing.
  • cooldad
    Hmm, hare and the tortoise kind of makes sense, initially, but then, in the old story, who won the race, the tortoise or the hare, eh? eh? eh?
    Still confusing.

You should have read the ending - lots of words I know, but the pics could have given you a clue.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I see the gist of the story was lost on you, then, CD.
    What I mean is that although common sense would dictate that the hare would be quicker, it turns out that in the long run, it was the tortoise that won the race. So it doesn't make the +/- for damping or speed any less cloudy does it?
  • cooldad
    I see the gist of the story was lost on you, then, CD.
    What I mean is that although common sense would dictate that the hare would be quicker, it turns out that in the long run, it was the tortoise that won the race. So it doesn't make the +/- for damping or speed any less cloudy does it?

Ah yes, a bit subtle for me obviously. Better stick to Beano.

But as the stickers were made up by illiterate yanks, I would suggest that the obvious connotation would be more likely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • Put it as much to Turtoise as possible without the fork wollowing like an old American caddy. If you top out (use all the travel) regularly over successive medium to large bumps (packing up) add more Hare until it dosent top out anymore.
    If at the Hare your still topping out over successive bumps. You need more travel.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • supersonic
    Top out can be ill designed negative springs/bumpers or failed negative air chamber though.
  • toastedone
    Im more confused now than when i asked my original question lol, i take it it is a safe bet to follow the guide on the fork for pressure to my weight for the sag setting. then if i set rebound half way and go from there?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no just add air to get the sag you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    The only real way of settnig it for yourself is to ride it over a bit of trail you know well and that will test your fork. Set it to one extreme, ride, adjust. You don't want to be stacking up, but you don't want to be pogoing around either.
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    toastedone wrote:
    Im more confused now than when i asked my original question lol, i take it it is a safe bet to follow the guide on the fork for pressure to my weight for the sag setting. then if i set rebound half way and go from there?

Either that or start at the quickest setting and just dial it back until it feels right, you just need a nice rutted track really to give it a try.
  • toastedone
    Thanks for the advice, I bet the more experienced riders here get really fed up with newbs
  • supersonic
    Did you get the manual? If not download from SRAM, and see our guide in the FAQ for Dual Air forks.
  • toastedone
    The manual was rubbish to be honest, more on the legal side than the use of the forks, will check FAQ now
  • Anonymous
    Put it as much to Turtoise as possible without the fork wollowing like an old American caddy. If you top out (use all the travel) regularly over successive medium to large bumps (packing up) add more Hare until it dosent top out anymore.
    If at the Hare your still topping out over successive bumps. You need more travel.
    That makes very little sense at all. In fact, it's almost entirely the wrong way round.
  • cooldad
    It's a rabbit dammit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools