Soler in a Coma....

15peter20
15peter20 Posts: 293
edited October 2011 in Pro race
...I know, I know, it's really serious....

Bad jokes aside - have I missed it or does no-one seem to care on this site? Seems like a serious and life threatening crash - the poor guys in a bad way.

No love for Soler?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's been mentioned and mulled over in the Tour of Switzerland thread.

I think we're all mainly relieved he's not dead, after last month.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    :lol: was just coming on here to make a Smiths comment, but in all seriousness, bad news for the fella, and for cycling, its been a bad year for accidents and deaths and we are only in June!
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    News today says that he's still in ICU so he's clearly still seriously ill.

Saw my mum pass away in an intensive care unit earlier this year and got the impression that anyone on a high level of support as is common in those units is on borrowed time, as each of the treatments has a cost to your body. It's can only help that he's young and fit, really hope he can pull through.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I suppose people are waiting to hear what his prognosis is. RIght now there isn't too much info available so not much to say about it.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Improving slightly but still in a coma (medicaly induced) and has multiple fractures according to the cyclingnews story.
    I really feel sorry for this guy, thought he was going to be a big star after winning the king of the mountains, like the next Jalabert but he's had nothing but bad luck since.
    And Carlton 'hold on to your hat' Kirby, the numpty, said he had ropey bike handling skills, but Brian Smith set the record straight pointing out you dont win the KOM without a decent ammount of bike handling skills.
    I hope he makes a full recovery but can't see him returning to pro cycling somehow, hope to be proved wrong though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    The one thing in his favour is that the coma isn't a direct result of the accident but is medically induced. I believe this is done to take the strain off the body as it heals. Remember it is less than two years since Bellis was in a similar position.
  • Bikefotos
    Bikefotos Posts: 59
    Does any one know how Soler is recovering? It's a few days since I've seen any information on his progress.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Bikefotos wrote:
    Does any one know how Soler is recovering? It's a few days since I've seen any information on his progress.

Not brilliant by the sounds of things :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-b ... ut-of-coma
    Mañana
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    Being slowly brought out of the induced coma.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/sport ... -coma.html
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The sad thing is that after breaking onto the scene in a big way a few years ago he'd been anonymous due to illness/injury, then came back looking fantastic in Switzerland. Now he's had what could easily be a career ending accident. Who knows how he might have done in July had he not crashed.

Have there been any detailed reports about the crash? I read that it involved a spectator, but nothing more than that.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I read that he had slid and then crashed into a fence, and the spectator was going to be ok although Soler's injuries were so severe because he came to a sudden halt (sorry, I can't remember the link, but the spectator was not the cause of the crash).
    I feel so sorry for him- does anyone know if his wife was able to get a visa to visit him?
    Saul Raisin was so brave afterwards, but he couldn't get back to racing again.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    RobbieHunter: Just spoke to Mauricio Solers wife Patrizia & he has still a lot of complications from his crash.not cool! Hope he comes around soon!!!
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Latest news over Soler's status

Twenty days after his horrible crash during the sixth stage of the Tour de Suisse, Mauricio Soler is still into the Intensive Care Unit of the Hospital St. Gallen in Switzerland. The Colombian rider is being accompanied by his wife Patricia and a brother of her, and evolves slowly but steadily from all his injuries.

Movistar Team doctor Alfredo Zúñiga reports on the latest improvements on Soler's condition: “His status is getting better very slowly, but he keeps taking small steps and the doctors are thinking of taking him out of the Intensive Care Unit. Due to this, we have started to all arrangements to take him back to Pamplona (Spain). He's not into coma anymore, but is kept under a high drowsiness. He spends most of the time asleep, but when he has moments of lucidity, he obeys to easy orders. The checks over him still don't remark on any injury at peripheral or medular levels, but this is something we can't rule out at the moment. The lung problems are completely under control and he doesn't need artificial respiration, he breathes by himself. The rest of his injuries are also going through a positive progress. It's going to be a long, slow process yet, so some weeks can go by with no major news
    cartoon.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks. I hope he recovers quickly...some people have no luck.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Looking more promising, hope he eventually makes a full recovery.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    It's definitely a relief to hear he is improving. I for one have always been a fan of his since his great showing in 2007 TdF and here's hoping we see him back to full power soon, with a bit more luck on his side.
  • Amen to that.
  • It looks like he may have some serious long term affects.Hopefully he'll get over them ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-s ... e-deficits
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Sounds like a long road to recovery for the poor sod.........but it's still early days with regard to the lasting effects of such a major head injury. Keeping fingers crossed for him.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    This update sounds like he's making some progress:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-l ... -care-unit
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good.

Cycling could do with less reports which include doctors.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Huzzah! That report sounds much more promising than the previous one. All the best Mauricio!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Tusher
    At least he's on the road to recovery, although it sounds like it's going to be a long, slow road.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    JonGinge wrote:
    Great news, I really hope for him that he can make a 100% recovery.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Good news. By far and away my favourite climber to watch. Such a unique style. Unfortunately i don't think we'll see him back on a bike again but i hope we do.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Good - Good luck to the boy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    That is good news, he seems to have such a robust attitude.
  • The chances of a 100% recovery are 0%.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.