Chain Bouncing Off

mattrgee
mattrgee Posts: 157
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

As I've started to ride faster down steep trail sections, I've found the chain is banging around and ends up jump down chainrings. Is this what a Chain Devce is designed to reduce? If so, can they be run with 3 chainrings?

Cheers.

Comments

• Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I think they only do chain devices for double and sibgle ring set ups.

http://www.gamutusa.com/products/P20-Dual-Ring.html

I rode a triple last year in the alps and found that sticking the chain onto the largest ring (front) before going downhill cured my chain jumping incidents (and before that there were a lot of them). 8)
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I had trouble with my chain coming off on my FS, so went 1x9 with e13 guide and a 34-11 cassette and swap out front rings from 32t to 38t depending where and how I'm going to be riding, a bit of a pain but my chain stays on :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • drewcole81
    drewcole81 Posts: 528
    As said above, if you keep your chain on the largest chainring when heading down anything steep then it will stop the slapping as it keep it taunt.

Also, having the largest chain ring engaged will give you more chance of having some chance of being able to dap some more power if you need it for control.... if you run down hill with a small chain ring then your feet will just spin round and round if you needed any power...

I learnt that just before I hit a tree......
    ....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    do you use the big ring much?

if not, why not ditch it, fit a light weight bash ring and a chain device like a blackspire stinger. with a bit of shopping around you'd be able to get both for c £30.

get rid of the chain slap / jump and add a bit of cleareance
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ditch the big ring & fit a double chain device. Ditching the big ring is the best thing I have done to my bikes. You can also shorten the chain once the big ring is gone which will help even more
  • bigkid
    bigkid Posts: 32
    I had the same problem and before ditching the triple I have made a good old DIY to copy a Bionicon device that they try to sell for around 30Euros! (Google image search for Bionicon c guide)

Mine is a bit nicer than some of the ones in this forum ( https://srv15.mtb-news.de/forum/showthr ... 53&page=13 ) and it works a treat. In principal you need a plastic pipe suspended from the chainstay that can swing in and out for shifting but holds the chain up close to the chainstay, similar things have been around for years. Some PTFE pipe is perfect if you can get it.

Worth a try...