Trek 142 x 12 confusion

aaronmroach
aaronmroach Posts: 341
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
After on spec buying my new Easton Haven wheels (got to wait for the rear to turn up another two weeks or so).

Trek have confused me something chronic!!

When I bought my 2010 Remedy 8 the spec sheet said 142 mm rear end, so when ordering the Haven wheels the LBS and I have ordered the 142 but they come with a 12mm axle so we ordered the 12mm through axle kit for my rear stays from the 2011 bikes (which Trek Rep say's should have been with the 2010 bike ???) and a 142 x 12 Shimano rear XTR axle P/No MADSMAX75A.

Being a curious young engineer I took the old wheel out and measured the overall axle length it came in at 135mm??

Here lies my confusion and need help as the tinternet is confusing me even more!!! All I can find is that Rock Shox maxle is the only one that will fit (not the maxle lite or shimanos XTR MADSMAX75A or anyones after market units) even though all the dimensions are the same and the thread is identical???? Also are the Hubs the same dimensions in width 135mm and its just the oversized axle-skewer thats 142mm due to having to go through 4 pieces of rear frame (LHS seat stay and DW stay and RHS seat stay and chain stay)??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    142 is the OLD dimension IE between the stays. just like the 135 is the OLD and the distance between the stays.

what is the measurement with the 12mm drop outs on your frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Just got off of the phone with the Trek rep!!!!

1. 135mm refers to the spacing between disc tab and deraileur tab (if you drew a vertical line up from each!!)

2. 135mm is the length of a standard hub without the small threaded portions that slot into the dropouts on a normal frame (this is approx 146mm in full according to them, just measured an old hope hub I have lying around and it came out at 145.5mm) this is why a standard 135mm hub fits into the Trek's 142mm dropouts.

3. The new dropout kit has a machined threaded insert inside the drive side dropout and a opened out recess and axle hole to 12mm but a little thicker at the contact point to accept any 142 x 12 axle of your choice (but not syntace unless you have a session but there 150 mm anyway).

So in full the hub dimensions in full of a 135mm standard are longer than the 142 mm, the mating faces however are 135mm and 142mm (7mm difference)!!!

So all is good and all will work!!!!!!