using my fratello for a TT

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
is it worth swapping my 23 gatorskins for something lighter and faster (while we have this beautiful weather) or will there not be any discernible difference?

or should I just borrow my mate's Tarmac?

Comments

• I swapped my gatorskins for GP 4000s and took 90 seconds off my 10 mile PB. OK, I also got tri-bars and a pointy hat and did some training but it was mostly the tyres I reckon.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I swapped my gatorskins for GP 4000s and took 90 seconds off my 10 mile PB. OK, I also got tri-bars and a pointy hat and did some training but it was mostly the tyres I reckon.

Must be the tyres. Pointy hats don't help or Moldova would be world champs.

1305125408.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm sure I've seen Cancellara wearing one of those.

TT helmets are ace - you can keep a pork pie in the back bit - which is handy on a 100.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    How long is the TT?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    its just that King Sturge one in July at Dorney Lake. 20k I think.

I'm just a commuter but I really want to beat the guys in my team who are doing it.

Because I commute in everyone (who doesnt cycle) thinks that I'm a really serious cyclist but the other two do sportives etc.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Surely victory will be sweeter doing it on the Fratello, mudgaurds and all :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Surely victory will be sweeter doing it on the Fratello, mudgaurds and all :wink:

And a hi-viz just to really rub it in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    with the ortliebs flapping in the wind and my herman safety wing glinting in the sunlight...?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    So a flat course? I didn't find Gatorskins slow - I've used them on sportives as well as the commute. I would have thought tri bars would give you more of an advantage, provided you know how to ride with them. If you haven't ridden with them before and feel unsure about using them, stick your hands on the hoods, lay your forearms on the tops of the bars, crouch down and pedal like stink.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    Okay cool cheers.

I used to ride tubs and I find clinchers so much more sluggish but then that may have something to do with the extra weight I'm carrying around my midriff!!!!

That's the position I hold when trying to pick up serious speed - y'know +16mph so reckon I'd be okay.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I read on the internet (so it must be true) that when it comes to spending money in an effort to go faster, the biggest bang for your buck is in aero rather than weight reduction.
    So, tri-bars, lycra, aero helmet etc.

That or have a car with a fairing drive in front of you!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • clarkey cat
    are you allowed to have tri-bars and a brooks saddle on the same bike?

If so - I'm in.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think that will make the FCN calculator explode.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    General consensus (and also my experience) is that the best value-for-money improvement is clip-on tri bars, closely followed by a pointy hat.

Tubs, aero wheels, dedicated TT frames etc will yield much smaller gains than the above.

Wear the tightest, least flappy clothing you have.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • clarkey cat
    tri-bars it is.

I've got some mouldy lycra laying around too!

Watch out boys - here I come!
  • Most importantly: PLF.
  • Try and stick a small picture of a fast-looking cyclist on the edge of the right lens of your glasses, so that it just shows up in your peripheral vision. That way, the SCR instinct will override all pain and make you go at least 10 mph faster.
  • clarkey cat
    I disagree with TLAs as a point of principle.
  • clarkey cat
    and I see you helpfully changed your profile pic UE so that I can use an image of you.
  • and I see you helpfully changed your profile pic UE so that I can use an image of you.

One of the services I provide. :D