Removing decals

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I got my new forks today but i do not like the colour scheme of the decals, is there an easy way to remove them without doing damage, I want to but some more that are more suiting to my bike.

dsc05721k.jpg

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Warm them up with a hair dryer and pick at a corner with a fingernail, keep using the hairdryer and slowly peel them back. Dont pull at right angles you want to fold it back and have as shallow angle as possible helps prevent any loose paint coming off. Any glue residue will come off with isopropanol and a kitchen paper towel.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • toastedone
    Thanks stubs, what are the chances of losing paint, i wouldn't want to damage them as they are new.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pretty minimal I have only pulled paint off once removing a vinyl and that was my fault it was a cold day went at it too quick plus it was a pretty cruddy respray job. Get it nice and warm, take your time and you should be fine. There are solvents that will soften the vinyl but they are pretty nasty and might remove your brain at the same time.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • toastedone
    Again thanks, with them being new there should be no discolouration to the paint i hope
  • toastedone
    Thanks stubs worked a treat, come off so easy, no mess no goo left now i have some nice white RS rebas ready for some better decals.