Should i try my first build?

baconater
baconater Posts: 72
edited June 2011 in MTB general
i have been into biking now for a while, really happy with my whyte 805. but seeing every one here having fun building their bikes up i was just wondering if i should get me self in it. also wondering if any one had any advice on the does and donts??
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do read both Parktools and sheldon browns pages.

get your LBS to do some things.

If not sure how to ask first.

go to the dump and rescue a bike and strip it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    The major disadvantage to doing a custom build is you won't know how it's going to turn out until you've taken the plunge and build it.

Classic example; a lad I used to work with in a bike shop (before he came to work for us ;) ) built a Santa Cruz Chameleon from scratch, he had in mind a hard riding but all day machine, it was a mish-mash (yet thought out) mix of heavy duty and lightweight parts. Unfortunately, he got it very wrong! He decided on an unnecessarily heavy Saint drivetrain but used flexy and relatively fragile Mavic XC717 rims laced with revolution spokes and long travel but very noodly 150mm Fox TALAS 32's. Off road, the bike stank, it couldn't be ridden particularly hard because the wheels and fork were too bendy and because the frame used an EBB a chain device couldn't be fitted so the chain would fall off at the first bump, and it couldn't be ridden all day because he chose to run a 36 tooth single ring (see above with chain device) and it kicked him up the arse because the frame was too rigid.

I've never seen him ride it off road, essentially he has a slow, expensive, under geared heavy hybrid that is a thief magnet. It is no surprise we nicknamed him idiot features.

Eventually a chain device was bodged on but he still doesn't ride it off road.

A Fuel EX 8 would have cost him less, performed better everywhere and caused less head scratching, but some people want a custom bike just for the sake of being different, but isn't mountain biking different enough from sitting in a pub shouting at Man U on a TV screen without having unnecessarily cooky bikes?
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    Have to agree with above. The bike manufacturers know what they're doing, and every part they select for their pre-built bikes are chosen as they are the best options when working together.

Personally, however fun it would be, I'd never build a custom bike. Although I did think about it for a while.

From what I can tell it would also end up costing you a lot more for the same thing.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Just built myself a Cotic BFe and really enjoyed the process of finding bargains, learning more about how bikes go together and the actual building. It wasn't particularly cheap and involved some headaches (still trying to resolve a fork warranty issue, so I've not actually ridden it yet!).

1) Don't forget to budget for some tools.
    2) I got my LBS to press in the headset cups, cut fork steerer, fit star nut. Frame came nicely prepared in terms of facing and chasing.
    3) Allow lots of time for "easy bits".
    4) Allow a bit more time.
    5) Run your ideas past someone else, you might be making a Frankenmonster.
    6) Have fun.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    In addition to what I said earlier, by all means do it if it's what you want to do, wasn't trying to tell you off for having the idea! Just be aware of the cost an time involved as mentioned above.

If you do choose to go along with it, best of luck!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    sometimes part of the fun of doing it yourself is getting it wrong

you dont necessarily have to get it bang on first time

if your bike is 100% perfect 1st time then wheres the time for tweaking ?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've built a few different bikes now (including last year "bike of the year" [/shameless brag]). It can be very expensive, it can be very frustrating, but I'd say it's worth it overall if you're into that kind of thing.

Do choose your components carefully. Don't just buy a part because it's massively reduced. Be clear about what you want your bike to do, and stick with the parts that will let you achieve that aim best as you can.

You can find some fantastic bargains on new stuff from the likes of CRC, Merlin, On-one and a couple of the German shops.

Use the best quality tools you can. It makes the whole experience much easier and quicker.

If you struggle to do something, post on here for advice, if you STILL can't do it, get your LBS to do it rather than guessing. The extra cost will be worth it for peace-of-mind.

Don't get too distracted going for form over function, it never ends well. You'll end up with a really expensive wall hanging that rides like a pig on rollerskates.

Frame
    Wheels&tyres
    Forks
    Drivetrain
    Brakes
    Finishing Kit

^^^ In my opinion, listed in order of importance
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I went down the custom route because my mate had an enduro frame kicking around in his garage and I fancied full sus. so I transplanted most of my hart tail over. Looking back I must have looked a bit odd running a 6" travel frame with 100mm forks, but it worked fine and climbed well.

What I wouldn't do is take a new bike and start swapping parts on it. Its a total waste of money, better to buy something used with faults and then replace the failed parts to tweak the overall ride.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    GHill wrote:
    Just built myself a Cotic BFe and really enjoyed the process of finding bargains, learning more about how bikes go together and the actual building. It wasn't particularly cheap and involved some headaches (still trying to resolve a fork warranty issue, so I've not actually ridden it yet!).

1) Don't forget to budget for some tools.
    2) I got my LBS to press in the headset cups, cut fork steerer, fit star nut. Frame came nicely prepared in terms of facing and chasing.
    3) Allow lots of time for "easy bits".
    4) Allow a bit more time.
    5) Run your ideas past someone else, you might be making a Frankenmonster.
    6) Have fun.

Ooooh, I've just done the same thing (BFe build), will post it in my rides once I've taken some pictures. Was built up to replace my damaged Soul, which I now need to get repaired. Would be interesting to see how they compare (I've gone a bit made with black and white after my stealth Soul).