Scottish Borders

allezcourage
allezcourage Posts: 64
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning a tour through the Borders in July. I'll be heading over from Dumfriesshire to Langholm and then Newcastleton, I think, and hope to explore the area for 4 or 5 days before meeting the family up in Edinburgh. Does anyone have any experience of the area they could share to help me plan a route? For example roads to avoid/seek out, campsites etc.

I'd be very grateful! :)

Comments

• Where are you startingfrom?
    The good thing about the borders and D & G is that it's possible to make a route out of mainly B roads. If you plan on taking the road which goes directly from Langholm to Newcastleton, you need to be aware it has very steep hills.
  • I'll be starting from Dumfries. I know D&G very well but the Borders to the east are more of a mystery to me. Hills are not something I'm looking to avoid, but I am keen to enjoy less-travelled roads. Thanks for advice.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I stay in Edinburgh and thought I knew the Borders pretty well. That was until I started cycling properly a few years ago. There are some stunning wee corners down that way. Pick a route, any route, it's sure to be a wee gem. And there are some serious hills. Try from Tweedsmuir up passed Talla and Meggethead, you could be lost in the Highlands somewhere, it's so peaceful. Killer climb of 20% at the top end of Talla tho' :D :evil: :evil:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Yes, I know the Talla climb well. To know it is to love it! :D Thinking of Langholm, Newcastleton, then Hawick, Melrose, Selkirk etc and over to Berwick Upon Tweed then over the Lammermuirs to Edinburgh. Really looking forward to having a proper explore!
  • I recently biked up to a gig in Hawick. There were quite a lot of logging lorries on the road around Newcastleton. The B6399 however was very quiet. It's quite a long but gentle climb going to Hawick (but a great freewheel coming home).
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I did some cycling near Newcastleton a couple of weekends back. Barring some motorbikes it was pretty quiet, but there are some sizeable climbs both east and west of there.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    If you are cycling from Hawick to Selkirk, I would recommend going out of Hawick west to the B711 then along it to Roberton, then take the minor road north to Ashkirk, then go over the minor road over Woll Rig and go into Selkirk via Bowhill House (Duke of Buccleuch's house) where there is a cafe. There is also a cafe at a salmon farm just before you get to Selkirk on the A708 after Bowhill.
    In Hawick a good cafe is the Damascus Drum, or there is a cheap cafe on the Howgate.
  • Great advice - thanks! Cafe knowledge is always highly prized...
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    Great advice - thanks! Cafe knowledge is always highly prized...

Other good cafes in the Borders include :
    'The Jammy Coo' in Lilliesleaf near Hawick on the B6359
    The Buccleuch Arts Centre in Langholm
    Harestanes Visitor Centre on the B6400 near Ancrum
    Woodside Walled Garden, just across the road from Harestanes
    Whistlestop Cafe in Innerleithen