What is a "push" RP23 Fox shock?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

Been looking at one of these and wondered what the push meant.

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    PUSH Industries do tunking kits for shocks. So if you were to PUSH your shock, you'd send it do a place like Mojo or TF Tuned, they ask you some questions, you tell them want you want and they tune.

Are also some standard fitting upgrades.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    It can be whatever you want it to be, it is individually tuned to the rider weight and preferred settings. For that reason I wouldn't buy a second hand one unless you're willing to fork (no pun intended) out to have it retuned.

If you're thinking about having it done to your existing shock or buying brand new then I think it's worth every penny
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Darra8
    It's second hand and already fitted to a frame.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    It may be OK, check out how heavy the previous owner is, it may not be tuned to your preference but if he or she weighs close to your weight then at least you'll be in the right ballpark.

Basically, what PUSH tuning does is removes two thirds of the rebound and compression adjustment, tailoring the 15-or-so click adjustment range to a specific spring rate (I.E the rider's body weight). Usually out of the 15-or-so clicks of rebound adjustment, you have 2 or 3 clicks that are actually useful to you, but with PUSH, each click makes a very subtle difference so it's possible to get a perfect setup. If the rider weighs a lot more or less than you, PUSH tuning will be detrimental rather than beneficial as the rebound damping will be far too slow or fast.

Make sense?
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    but with PUSH, each click makes a very subtle difference so it's possible to get a perfect setup

And this is why I am wary of it. You go from a large range to a small one. You really need to know what you are doing, and what you prefer.
  • Darra8
    Thanks for the info guys.

Can a shock be mounted either way around in the frame, as I have noticed that it is mounted the opposite way around on this one, is this OK?
  • Darra8
    Thanks for the info guys.

Can a shock be mounted either way around in the frame, as I have noticed that it is mounted the opposite way around on this one, is this OK?
  • Shaggy_Dog
    It doesn't really matter but i like to have the can end of the shock mounted to the frame and the piston attached to the swingarm, you can always swap the bushes (not always necessary) and run it the other way around but i wouldn't bother personally
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96