Help me decide on a bike - please!

mlang
mlang Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Sorry for yet another of these threads, but I'd like to hear other's opinions and ideas.

I'm looking at around £750, but the cheaper the better (2010 models, etc). Would like 105, but happy with Tiagra (or comparable SRAM). Strong enough for cycle paths. Comfortable.

My lovely, simple spec hybrid got stolen 18 months ago, and since then I've gone back to my very old (1992) diamondback 700c. Mrs & I bought a house in November, almost tripling my commute and it can be a very windy trip at that (Portway in Bristol ).

So I want to get a new bike. Originally was going to go for a flatbar, roadbike hybrid (like a sirrus or boardman hyrbid), but now I'm thinking I'll go for drops with crossbrakes for comfort. So that led me to think of CX bikes, eg. Boardman or Spec, or a light tourer.

Problem is, the last few months have seen me put on a good few extra pounds/kilos. So now I'm thinking a sportive type bike might be the best, being light but comfortable.

So I'm going round in circles.

Currently, I love the look of a Felt Z85 and should be able to get one a bit cheaper. But I don't know how strong it is, especially if I sometimes put a rack on for work things.

I've seen the Giant Defy 2 mentioned alot, but also mentions of the wheels being iffy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter, or better recommendations.

Comments

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    I got one of these about 4 weeks ago, full 105, decent wheels, good tyres. I'm very pleased.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Road+Bikes/Merlin+Road+Bikes/Merlin+5600+Ltd+Edition+Bike_MERLIN-RB-ALLOY.htm

Oh and those few extra pounds will melt away after a few miles :wink:
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    You won't get many 105 equipped bikes for £750.

You won't get many Tiagra ones either - unless it's old stock.

More important than Groupsets is the frame and fork. The Giant Defy 2 has a very good frame and fork - that frame is found on Giant bikes costing £1500+

The wheels are also good. It's the tyres that are a little rubbish and I changed those to some Michelin for £40.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    You can get a bike with full Tiagra groupset for about £570 (haven't checked the price recently), see the Ribble Audax or Ribble 7005 road bike special editions... Ribble website...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.