Compact or not?

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi, looking for a new bike towards the end of the year after my trusty Trek 1.1 Compact has put in sterling service. I'll keep the trek for winter commutes but looking for the next step up.

I can't work out what makes certain road bikes 'Compact', i've got a feeling it's the rear cassette being an 8-speed but other than that not sure. Can someone tell me?

Also would a 10-11 speed cassette allow me to reach higher cruising speeds (aside from pedalling faster?)?

thanks! :oops:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    A compact will normally have smaller front cogs than the 'race standard' 53/39, so typically 50/34

You can confusingly also get compact frames noticeable for the sloped teste resting top tube.

Whether a cassette is 8/9 or 10 speed will have have an effect depends of the cog ratios. A 10 speed cassette of 14-25 wont allow to reach the top speed of an 8 speed 12-25, since its the lower numbered cog that makes you go faster (cadence etc being equal).
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for the wise words. :)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)