Brake fade?

Jon_Pearson
Jon_Pearson Posts: 24
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I haven't used my bike for about 2 months and when i finally rode it the brakes where really rubbish like they where faded. You could pull the lever pritty hard and the pads rubbed against the disc instead of biting it. I dont over use my brakes, i do canal runs and a few road rides. Any ideas why the brakes are going a bit rubbish from doing nothin? My brakes are Shimano M575

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the lever was still feeling like normal?

but no stopping power?

where do you keep the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • In the garage
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Seized pads/pistons ? build up of corrosion ? contamination on the discs from spraying stuff near the bike while not being used (wd40) ?
    First you need to find out if the pistons/ pads are actually moving when you pull the brakes levers,
    If there free then try removing the pads, quick clean up with some wet n dry and a clean with some kind of alcohol ( not beer) spray or brake cleaner type stuff.
  • To be honest the brakes do it all the time. One day they will be really sharp and good then u leave your bike for a hour then go back on it then the brakes have lost abit of bitting power from the pads.

Theres nothing wrong with the brakes them selfs, i think its got something to do with the pads.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    So its not really down to the original statement of being stood for 2 months then ?
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Air/water in the brake fluid. volume dependent on temp, therefore changes every day. Change fluid and bleed
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!