brake disc rotors

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
When it comes to buying brake disc rotors are there good and bad or are they much the same? My bike has 160MM rotors and i presume they are 6 bolt, i am unable to check right now as my bike is not here but googling i see there is 6 bolt and centre lock. i presume the standard is 6 bolt, i check my bikes specs but it does not say what type it just says..

Any how as per my original question is there good and bad rotors, and it mine is 160mm 6 bolt, would any of that spec fit and work with my bike.

many thanks

Comments

• Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Im guessing your running avid brakes?

Any 160 6 bolt will fit, different sizes will require adapters etc. Superstar are cheap and good quality...I've yet to find a OE Avid rotor that hasnt got a wave in it!
  • toastedone
    No my brakes are....

Shimano BR-M445 hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 160mm rotor
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most likely to be splined then.

changing rotors for the same size changes very little.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Oops sorry man, saw you had a 'hopper but didnt click the link...Thought Spesh spec'd Avid :shock:

As Nick said, little performance difference on rotor...might get a difference with changing pads tho.
  • toastedone
    My bike is in for a service for the next couple of days and (Free) and they are fitting my new forks, my concern was that the standard rotors may have been slightly warped, and thought fitting a better quality rotor maybe a nice little upgrade.

When looking for new pads what should i be looking for?

thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you think they are warped ask the shop to look at them and straiten them if needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toastedone
    Ahh ok i wasn't aware that was possible, since i have had the bike i have had a rear brake issue, I have mentioned that to them today while dropping the bike of so i guess they will act on that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    toastedone wrote:
    When it comes to buying brake disc rotors are there good and bad or are they much the same?
    Generally yes, although I have seen some tests that would appear to conclusively proove how effective Shimano's ice-tek rotors are.
    The ice-tek ones are the new XTR rotors (soon coming to XT too), where there's an inner layer of aluminium, sandwiched between an outer layer of stainless steel.
    It would appear they really do help combat brake fade due to heat build up.