Cyclists using Olympic lanes risk £200 fine

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm surprised this story is not a hot topic on here
Cyclists using Olympic lanes risk £200 fine
Ross Lydall
16 Jun 2011

CYCLISTS are to be banned from using London's Olympic "Games lanes".

They face a £200 fine if caught riding in the routes reserved to speed VIPs across the capital.

Many key roads, such as the A40, Victoria Embankment and Marylebone Road, have been included in a 108-mile, £25 million Olympic Route Network.

Many pedestrian crossings will be shut, right-turns banned, traffic lights phased and bus lanes suspended on the network. Almost half of the roads will have their outside lanes designated "Games lanes", designed to shuttle 82,000 athletes, officials and media staff between venues.

The restrictions, typically from 6am to midnight, will run from late July next year until the end of the Paralympics in September. Campaigners warned people could be discouraged from cycling to the Games. Jim Walker, chairman of the London 2012 active travel advisory group, said he wanted to see people encouraged to cycle or walk rather than having their memories soured by being stuck in traffic.

He added: "As a walker or cyclist, you want that route to be as pleasant and safe an experience as possible."

Taxi drivers are reported to be considering a blockade in protest at plans to bar them from Games lanes.

A Transport for London spokesman said: "The network and associated traffic measures will cover around one per cent of London's roads and only operate when absolutely necessary." He said most Games lanes would be in the centre of the road, leaving cyclists free to continue riding next to the pavement.

Where does one start?

We are already being told to avoid public transport because of extra visitor numbers.

We are now facing roads being reduced in capacity by 50% yet extra traffic on them.

The roads are only to be closed when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? so till midnight from 0600 and for a period even between the 2 sets of games when there is no competition going on?

As for the last line- what is the TFL spokesperson on about. He clearly has no idea of safe cycling and thinks cyclists should be riding in the gutter
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    4th post had the first RLJ comment.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • spen666
    jds_1981 wrote:

Don't divert the topic to irrelevant issues.

lets debate the issue this will cause. Start another thread if you want to witter on about other issues.

diverting topics is why we never get to make progress as people like to bring it back to irrelevant rubbish

The thread is about how the Olympics will affect cycling in London on a daily basis, not about other rubbish

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Political policy these days seems to be defined by sending out a press release on a contentious issue, reviewing the response and then if there's enough of an outcry, change the policy to demonstrate that you are "listening to the people". If there's no outcry then you implement what you like. This sounds like it falls into that vein

The more eastern sections of Embankment are unlikely to be affected as they are already 2 lanes plus CS8 so plently of room for everyone, although expect increased traffic as everyone else is squeezed into 1 lane. Further west, where there's only 1 lane could be more interesting.

On the plus side, if they're phasing the lights I predict a new PB come next July!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Detailed maps here: http://www.london2012.com/olympic-route ... erate.html

It's comforting to hear from TFL that a contested sliver of road space next to the pavement will still be available to cyclists.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    spen666 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

lets debate the issue this will cause. Start another thread if you want to witter on about other issues.

diverting topics is why we never get to make progress as people like to bring it back to irrelevant rubbish

The thread is about how the Olympics will affect cycling in London on a daily basis, not about other rubbish

That's you told jds_1981. TBH, I'm assuming that the roads will be pretty nasty anyway with the additional traffic, so maybe we'll be the only moving vehicles in London, gingerly filtering along endless stationary queues.

The cycling flashmob thing on Blackfriars Bridge might be a template for those who want to protest. It'll be interesting to see if there is any mass disobedience from motorists (judging by some of the comments on that article). Perhaps I should start making plans for an extended period of WFH.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    Slow news day. The journalist must have been trawling around the websites looking for someting to write about. The plans for the ORN and PRN have been drawn up since the Olympics were announced..

http://www.london2012.com/olympic-route ... d-prn.html

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/project ... 18196.aspx
    Individuals and organisations were able to comment on the ORN and PRN during the consultation periods for the first and draft second editions of the Transport Plan for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which were published in October 2007 and December 2009 respectively.

Whether it's right of wrong is a different question, just don't like lazy, alarmist, 'Daily Mail' journalism.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    No tickets and now they are taking the roads too?
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

About the sum of it really. Not a lot we can do but complain - going to have to suck it up.

Will still prefer to be the guy filtering that one lane rather than the guy in the car stuck in the 5 mile traffic jam.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    A bit of a non story. These lanes were announced a long time ago and no-one seemed to care then. The article seems vague and has attempted to use cycling as a means of restarting the debate as the black cab complaints sunk within a day.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Not a hint of transport problem with the Manchester Commonwealth Games & I work overlooking the stadium.

Enjoy your debate & the faff
  • jds_1981
    rjsterry wrote:
    That's you told jds_1981.

Bah.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    No race on Earth grumbles quite like the English.

Why not just enjoy hosting the Games instead of moaning about every perceived inconvience.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • spen666

Why not just enjoy hosting the Games instead of moaning about every perceived inconvience.

Why? Because I am going to have great difficulty getting to work for a six week period, if at all and for what benefit?

I will not see any games/ events
    I will be unable to use local facilities for transportation
    I am likely to haveto work during night time as work is likely to shift our hours

So what do I get out of it? Oh apart from having to pay extra council tax every year to fund the same

Oh yes, and having our cycling club's facilities removed to allow thenm to concrete over it to build offices etc

Twittering @spen_666
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Considering how little there is in the way of Police fining Cyclists for breaking laws, things such as RLJ etc...

I fail to see how they are going to manage to prosecute every cyclist if they start using the lanes. Not to mention they will presumably have to create a large amount of road signs to say that they can't be used by cyclists. Otherwise if they don't, you could plead ignorance.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    spen666 wrote:

Why? Because I am going to have great difficulty getting to work for a six week period, if at all and for what benefit?

I am likely to haveto work during night time as work is likely to shift our hours

So what do I get out of it? Oh apart from having to pay extra council tax every year to fund the same

Oh yes, and having our cycling club's facilities removed to allow thenm to concrete over it to build offices etc

Well, I suppose if the Games were all about you, that would be a fair complaint.

I am pretty sure I read that if you can tame Sharktopus, he can use the Olympic lanes, so you can ride him all the way in.

The Mighty Kong is banned though. Something about an incident with a former IOC member's daughter, apparently.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    spen666 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

Not entirely irrelevant though is it? The basic point being what difference does it make whether cyclists are banned or not, as a signficant number will just ignore the ban.
  • Obviously applying for tickets through official channels, and attempting to get about London on your bike is wrong.

The clear message is that you should eat lots of junk food and drink fizzy pop so that you can win the chance of tickets, and be treated like a VIP by the sponsors.

I despair
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I thought the consensus around here was that we wanted to be treated the same as other traffic? Is this now with that caveat that it's only if we're not unduly inconvenienced?
  • jds_1981
    Consensus? Are you reading the same forum as me? :P

Being serious, I thought the consensus was more of tfl giving us an acknowledgment that we don't really create any traffic and so the means to get past the congestion that cars cause.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    So basically London is holding the Olympics but either you won't be able to get tickets or you won't be able to cycle to the venue if you do have them - seems about right
  • spen666
    So basically London is holding the Olympics but either you won't be able to get tickets or you won't be able to cycle to the venue if you do have them - seems about right
    and you won't be able to use public transport, cycle to work or for leisure or indeed get about the city

Twittering @spen_666
  • Other routes are available and regular commuters probably know the alternatives/dodges pretty well. Some of those routes (A406 anyone?) are not famous as magnets for commuting cyclists.
    If I come across as too much of a cheerleader for my home town and the games then OK - bang to rights, but here's a thing. I was talking to a friend in Berlin t'othr night. She described a growing campaign there - in plain English - Berlin does not "heart" you
    you can probably imagine the stickers. Now that, unlike a couple of road closures here and there, I find genuinely dispiriting (although I don't by any means consider myself an honorary doughnut like JFK, I have spent many fantastic times in Berlin over the past few decades).
    So back to the point, there are of course plenty of Meldrews in our capital who don't want the olympics or the influx of people and blimey a whole six weeks or more of disruption!!! that necessarily come with them. If that applies to you, there's always the option of an extended holiday in Berlin next summer. The rest of us will stay here and be welcoming all and sundry with the natural exception of the Aussie road, track, MTB and BMX teams.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • tailwindhome
    spen666 wrote:

Sometimes you go to the party, sometimes you get the privilege of hosting the party,

You are the very definition of a Grumblebum*

*Copyright DonDaddyD
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Very happy that I live in Brizzle.....
  • spen666
    Other routes are available and regular commuters probably know the alternatives/dodges pretty well. Some of those routes (A406 anyone?) are not famous as magnets for commuting cyclists.....
    Yep, the A406 is great to get from Say Manor Park near Ilford to say Westminster. It goes no where near!

You also glibly ignore the effects of the traffic displacement from the Zil Lane rosads- all this traffic will be doing the same ie trying to find other roads, thus grid locking London completely

And for what benefits?

Certainly no chance of seeing the events
    loss of cycling and other facilities- Hog Hill Cycling circuit and Hackney Marshes football pitches for a start
    Oh and the chance to pay lots of extra council tax for many years

Who benefits? Ah yes, Bovis LendLease and other construction companies

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

Sometimes you go to the party, sometimes you get the privilege of hosting the party,

*Copyright DonDaddyD

Pray tell me what privilege there is apart from traffic chaos, loss of existing facilities and lots of cost to be paid?

Twittering @spen_666
  • tailwindhome
    spen666 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

*Copyright DonDaddyD

Pray tell me what privilege there is apart from traffic chaos, loss of existing facilities and lots of cost to be paid?

Granted hosting the entire world for a 6 week celebration of sport is a difficult concept to explain to a true misery guts like yourself.

Let me try with an example.

You can watch Fabian Cancellara, one of the all time great time triallers, competing for a gold medal along the streets and roads which you normally commute on.

If you aren't excited by this then I don't know what to tell you.

BBQs must be great round your place.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Now, I am a curmudgeonly old bast*ard and get as much pleasure from destroying other people's enjoyment while wallowing in my own self-indulgent hate-filled misery as anyone, and my default position is that all sport is juvenile, thuggish, and promotes the very sorts of values that are destroying society, but even I am starting to think along the lines of 'aw, c'mon guys, it's the Olymics, ffs'.

I live in Cardiff, a city well used to major disruption and inconvenience for the benefit of people who mostly live elsewhere, and on a regular basis, due to having a badly planned* 70k seat stadium located (in)conveniently slap in the middle of town. This week it was for the Fake Hats concert, twice, so I consider myself entitled to a viewpoint here. I would give someone else's right arm to have disruption ending after a few weeks next year like you moaning Londoners, as opposed to the madness that shuts Cardiff down on an ongoing permanent weekly basis and makes travel around our own city next to impossible for us irrespective of what method we use. This chaos makes megabucks for businesses in the city, but we see little benefit from that as most of it ultimately goes to investors, many of whom live in London.

But I tolerate it mostly. What would seriously p*ss me off, though, would be to hear my transport authority telling me that the proposal covered 'only one per cent of London's Roads' while conveniently ignoring that the likes of the A40, Embankment, or Marylebone Road carry a lot more than one per cent of the traffic, My bullsh*t detectors would be triggered. No-one likes being obviously lied to by authorities over whom they have little influence, so you moaning Londoners are due some sympathy from me. Not the taxi drivers though. I will never sympathise with taxi drivers.....

*History lesson. When the Millenium Stadium was given planning permission, the concept was that no extra road traffic would be generated in the city as event goers would arrive by rail via park and ride; the stadium is less than 100 yards from Central Station and only one main road, Wood Street, would have needed to be closed and diversions were readily available, A bonus was that the city would have gained a much-needed space that could have been used for small concerts, markets, or big screen viewings of the events going on inside the stadium. New platforms were built at the railway station.

In the event, a dispute arose between the stadium's owners, the Welsh Rugby Union, and thier neigbours, Cardiff Rugby Club, while the stadium was already under construction, and the expense incurred to the WRU threatened their ability to complete the project, so they sold the new space that was planned between station and stadium, and that is now filled with the 'Millenium Plaza', a large and ugly cinema/bar complex, and a speculative eyesore where someone failed to be able to build a block of luxury apartments. Everyone lost out; the WRU, who now have to take every opportunity they can to recoup thier losses by putting on many more events than were originally planned; the city, which has to suffer the ongoing transport nightmare caused by said events and never got it's new space; and the railway, which built 3 new platforms for no traffic.