rockshox floodgate

Rybes
Rybes Posts: 110
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
what is it and what does it do. ive read the part on it on the rockshox website at what it does but it dont make no sense to me. is it like a safty valve ?

cheers all 8)
2004 cinder cone, grey
madison prime seat
3 inch handle bar risers
bg comfort grips
lidl seat pack
diamond back pedals
2009 reba sl's
more to come......

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a blow off valve. When the fork is locked out, or nearly locked, you can set the Floodgate to either bypass the damping circuit with minimal effort, or with a lot of effort.

So you can tune how the fork behaves when locked out, and how it reacts over bumps ie stays locked, or unlocked for the hit (then it returns to locked).
  • Rybes
    cheers super. so locked out is almost rigid ? from what ive read even when locked out theres a small amount of travel. motorbike suspension is easy, that i can do. i was thinkin these forks would be similar but it would appear im wrong. oh well, more learnin on the way.
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, the full lockout retains a small amount of travel for traction.

Basically you have a compression damping adjuster, which fully turned locks the fork. the Floodgate adjuster sets the blow off force required.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There are some excellent explanations of Rockshox dampers and how to tune them on mtbr:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136225

As you'll see, it's possible to use the floodgate to control the damping, rather than just as a blow-off setting for the lockout. The 'middle' setting they describe (1/2 floodgate, 1/3-1/2 compression) makes rockshox forks dive much less under braking and dropping in to things. It assumes that you don't use a remote though, otherwise it's exactly as Supersonic describes and only works when the compression is fully closed ('locked').
  • Rybes
    cheers for the help blokes 8) and thanks for that link warpcow. im now goin to sit and read it all. i have no remote lock off so all is good. :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......