3 hour route near Penyghent

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
The good lady is doing Penyghent (Walking). Any one know a good circular route (Moderate) route taking about 3 hours I can bang out on the bike while shes walking with the girls.

Regards Tim

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited June 2011
    Dentdale is my favourite part of that Area(.especially looking down the valley on it from high (from Dent train station)and Dent my Fav Viillage...a bit farther on is Sedburgh.
    jc
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    Where are you parking up and what sort of distance and ascent would you expect in 3 hours, from that point? I'm happy to post suggestions and pass on .gpx files if relevant.
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    Example, down to Stainforth, Goat Lane and Silverdale Road to Halton Gill, then Arncliffe and back via the Cowside Valley, Henside Road. In this direction it's possibly more strenuous than doing it anticlockwise due to the climb back out of Arncliffe. Is that the sort of route you are thinking of?

Cowside is a beautiful valley, quite possibly my favourite on that side of Pen-y-ghent.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Loop round Ingleborough is the obvious one. Ribblehead, Ingleton, Clapham, Horton.

Alternatively Ribblehead, Ingleton, Kingsdale, Dentdale, Denthead, Ribblehead. Tougher and maybe longer I would expect.

Either would work in both directions. I'd perhaps do the Dentdale one anticlockwise.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Thanks Guys other than Bike Toaster I have no way of reading GPX files so I will get the OS maps out and look at some of these suggestions.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    One we do a couple of times a year as its a cracking little ride only c36 miles but will give you time to enjoy an award winning pie from Pearsons in Ingleton :)

Park up in Ingleton, take the monir road imediatley after the bridge over the river, this will merge after a couple of miles with the B6255 follow then left turn (Dentale) just nearing top of Gayle moor, Dent, Barbon, Casterton, Tunstal, then minor roads skirting the Benthams back to Ingleton.