We are the Borg

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So I was clipping my cycle computer on the bike, turning on the helmet cam (with twin frickin' lasers) and firing up the GPS tracker software on my smart phone when I realised I was a cycle cyborg.

When did this happen?

What happened to just getting on the bloody bike and cycling off down the road?

Is resistance futile?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    no gadgets for me on my commute....

apparently...its also possible to leave your mobile phone at home without the world ending! :oops:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    No gadgets for me on the commute bike either- made the decision not to even buy a bike computer. Lights for winter obv though and I haave a bike comp on the good bike... Not sure I'd cope knowing I didn't have my mobile with me though :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Same here, got on the bike and rode/splashed. Got a 12 year old computer that I never bother removing. No other gadgets.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    If GOOGLE has its way we will soon all be assimulated !! :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mind you - I'm waiting for the embarrassed comments from the ones who have pulse monitors / breathing straps and cadence sensors to pipe up....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I'm saving up for DRS to aid SCR. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Helmet cam are for luddites

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... r=20110610

Oh yeah!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382

This is a very important question. Soon people will be buying bib shorts - humidity gauge...
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    ... I realised I was a cycle cyborg.

When did this happen?

The bike itself is enough to qualify you as a cyborg - no electronics required.
    From wikipedia:

"A cyborg is a being with both biological and artificial (e.g. electronic, mechanical or robotic) parts."
  • You can't be serious....

.... I've always had more of an affinity with McEnroe than the Borg

Is it sad that when I get on the drops I pretend I've gone into a DRS activation zone?

Is it sad that when I get on the drops I pretend I've gone into a DRS activation zone?

Yes. I think you may be getting confused with the alternative wan KERS system :?
  • ^ no offence meant. Excuse my twisted sense of humour.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No computer, mobile gets shoved into my laptop bag (lappy is off), no cam' no GPS tracker,MTFU, get up on the bike and ride like hell!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ^ no offence meant. Excuse my twisted sense of humour.

That's okay, it's more or less correct.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    GPS? on a bicycle?

Are you crazy?

next you'll want electric windows and air conditioning and heated seats and....
    :roll:
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Does Di2 count?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Ah sh*t : it's a fair cop guvnor ...

I ordered an 8Gb micro sd card for the helmet cam this morning ...

Also ride with a GPS :

I AM NOT A NUMBER !!!!!!!!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Nothing for me.. I only have a 4 mil commute.. I have a Garmin which I use for when I go for a propa cycle but I dont have a watch, a phone or anything else. Though I do have a cadence sensor but nothing to pick up the signal :P
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i have no cycle computers etc, I do have a iphone but no mount etc, so it's only after the fact data.

so most of the time it's nothing as I don't have a watch and have to stop to know the time.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have a computer - but that is it - and that is only so i can see how lame my speed is and a reminder to MTFU and push the pedals harder.

I have a mobile as well - but i dont know why! i could quite hapily live without it - but the GF insists.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nothing - the only mobile I have is the one from work. I've never really been that concerned about speed, timing weight, heart rate etc etc - I expect I shall now be lynched by a gang of roadies :oops:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I expect I shall now be lynched by a gang of roadies :oops:

It's OK - they won't have the upper body strength to throw the rope over the branch.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Guilty as charged. Garmin 405, HRM, cadence sensor, mobile with Bluetooth headset (nearly always get a call). In the process of getting a helmet cam.

Must say me and friend joined another friend who was doing an extended lejog on the York to Newcastle leg and abandoned the high tech stuff and the feeling of just riding with mates not even knowing what time it was was great.