Brake and Gear Cable set

OIndergaard
OIndergaard Posts: 40
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Looking for a brake gear cable set with white outers. Are there any recommended brands and places to buy these? It is for Sram shifters...

thanks

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I recently fitted the Jagwire Racer brake/cable set. It was £26 from Amazon, the kit includes everything you need.

In terms of performance, well it works. My gears certainly shift more smoothly but I did fit a new groupset and chain at the same time so can't categorically attribute any improvement to the Jagwire cables.

Gore and Nokon sets get good reviews but are more expensive than Jagwire. I'm sure people on here will be able to provide feedback on those.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Whatever cable set you use.. get some Rock'n'Roll cable magic as a lube. it's THE Best cable lubricant out there and make a very real difference in shifting /braking..
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • mihaibu
    mihaibu Posts: 15
    Yokozuna; from chainreactioncycles.com
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    +1 for Jagwire Racer kit - the newer ones with the teflon-coated "ripcord" cables are awesome
  • FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    Any other, outside the usual recommendations before I buy?
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Nokon? Gore? Yokozuna i believe aren't in white but are the best ive used.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Quad stainless steel Brake/Gear set - £17.99

http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?p ... 48&pg=7156
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    markshaw77 wrote:
    +1 for Jagwire Racer kit - the newer ones with the teflon-coated "ripcord" cables are awesome

The new Racer kits come with the Ripcord teflon coated inners then?

The racer kits I've bought have always come with stainless steel inners and not the teflon coated jobbies.
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    markshaw77 wrote:

The racer kits I've bought have always come with stainless steel inners and not the teflon coated jobbies.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Got jagwire set for £8...look on ebya
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I bought the Jagwire racer kit.

Great value & works brilliantly, but I found the ferrules for the brake cable outer didn't fit the mounts on the bike. Not too much of a problem as they only cost 20p (for 4) at LBS.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    Another vote for Jagwire here.

Get mine from Woollyhatshop, enter 'newsite' in the promotion box at checkout for another 5% off making them under £21. Bargain!
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    markshaw77 wrote:

Yep and I love 'em!!

The set I bought last may were standard steel inners, but the set I got from derekscyclesonline (or maybe biketart) on ebay had them

At just £24 for the set (outers, inners, ferrules, end caps and rubber fittings to avoid frame rubbing) it is hard to go wrong
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,856
    Hi Ove,

Jagwire racer in white will go nicely with the new Canyon

:wink:
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    While I've thought my shifting and braking has been fine with standard Campag cables, would there be a noticeable difference with Jagwire etc? :?
    Thanks