Rattle when I'm free-wheeling...

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited June 2011 in The workshop
Sounds like it's coming from the freehub. Basically I'm getting a rattle around the rear wheel when I'm free-wheeling which is greatly exaggerated when I'm going along a rough road surface. It's not the bottom bracket. Any ideas?

Could it be the wheel bearings?

If it is the freehub, what's a cheap fix? They're just cheap wheels that came with the Tricross which I'll just outright replace if this is going to cost any more than £20ish.
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Loose spoke?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Loose spoke or loose pawl in the freewheel.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Plum
    Ah, didn't think about the spokes.

What's the pawl and how do I tighten it?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    is your cassette lockring tight?
  • Mr Plum
    I'll have a look tonight - got one of those Lidl tool kits a few weeks ago, not had the chance to use it yet so I think I'll take the cassette off, have a look around, then put it back on and see if it makes any difference.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pawls are the bit in the freewheel that engage to give you drive then 'ratchet' to freewheel, if a spring as failed or fallen out or its not located properly it can rattle, but such failures are very rare.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Do you have a lot of fillings? They rattle more on rough surfaces. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mr Plum
    Had a proper look at it today, took the cassette off (the lock ring was tight!) and the freehub felt solid, took the axle off and could see some rusty residue mixed in with the bearing grease on the non-drive side. Gave it a full degrease and clean then nipped out and got some new bearings. Repacked them with fresh grease and put it all back together. Done the fronts at the same time. Haven't been out for a test ride yet as it's pissing it down, but I hope that's got it - if not then i'll try and live with it through next winter then replace the wheels in march/april. Saving for a deposit on a house so the missus will go mad if more bike goodies turn up... (she was not impressed with new carbon shoes last week!).

Cheers for the replies guys.
    FCN 2 to 8