Chain suck when shifting to granny ring

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've noticed this a couple of times on my new bike (C456), when I change down from the middle to small rings on the crankset, the chain seems to stick to the small ring and get pulled up in between the ring and the chainstay, which isn't particularly kind to the carbon!

When I built the 456 I took the old stuff off my Boardman, replaced the chain (only just showing 0.75% wear) and the front mech.

The chain rings don't look worn, I've probably done about 2000 miles on them, but 90% of that will have been in the middle ring, the small ring doesn't get used very often at all around here. The middle was replaced with a steel one a while ago, and there was no skipping/sucking when I put the new chain on.

There is no skipping or chainsuck on the small ring once I'm on it and pedalling, it's just when I change down.
So is it likely to be that I'm not 'backing off' enough when shifting, something to do with the spring tension in the rear mech, or just a worn chainring(or just bad luck)?

This was happening on a lightly lubed, clean drivetrain (it's been on the bike for <70 miles, I was on the road when it first happennd)
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

chain suck explained.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Arrghh, that's happening to me now too! It's a pain in the ass when you're trying to get up a muddy hill and the chain gets sucked up and you have to quickly back pedal which ruins momentum. Worst thing ever.
    My chain and chainset was clean (well to start with) the cassette has only done a few 100 kms and mine seemed to happen while I was pedaling along when I hadn't just changed gear, under a bit of load on the granny ring.
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

chain suck explained.

Thanks. The single ring chainsuck sounds exactly right.

New ring time... :roll:
    MTB/CX

• PedroX64
    PedroX64 Posts: 17
    I have checked my granny ring and it is clearly worn. My GT Agressor XC1 has a Truvativ Blaze 3.1 chain set, so:

1. Will any 22t 4 bolt ring fit?

2. What manufacturer/material would be good? There seems to be an overwhelming amount of choice.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    1, Yes

2, They all pretty much do the same job..... it's more on how blingy you want to be or how much of a weight weenie you are
  • bails87
    I'd imagine you need a 64mm BCD ring, like this:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38193

Cheap,. cheerful, will last forever.
    MTB/CX

• Hi guys

The advice a few years ago was great, the chain suck stopped with the new granny ring. I now have problems with the middle ring so a replacement will be ordered.

What cassette and chain would you recommend to go with these chain rings?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What chain rings?
    THis thread died a long time ago.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shimano Deore M532 Inner & Middle Chainrings.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    KMC chain - I use the cheapest possible and any cassette in the size you want. Shimano or Sram, makes little difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools