chain size????

itsmygame
itsmygame Posts: 277
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys i am putting a new chain on my zesty 514 '11 its a size 46. please could someone tell me the best way to ensure the chain is the correct lenght?

ps dont say use the old one as i kniow its not the perfect size...

cheers guys
RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    around the two big cogs without the chain through the rear mech BUT also account for any chain grow as the suspension compresses.

see Parktools
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    around the two big cogs without the chain through the rear mech BUT also account for any chain grow as the suspension compresses.

Shimano method, what use without any problems, is chain round largest chainweel (at the front) and largest sprocket (at the back) plus 2 links.

After that, whenever you need to change the chain, cut the new chain to be same length as old. Simples.

Obvioulsy if you change the number of teeth on the largest chainweel (at the front) and/or largest sprocket (at the back), you need to repeat the process.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    02GF74 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Shimano method, what use without any problems, is chain round largest chainweel (at the front) and largest sprocket (at the back) plus 2 links.

After that, whenever you need to change the chain, cut the new chain to be same length as old. Simples.

Obvioulsy if you change the number of teeth on the largest chainweel (at the front) and/or largest sprocket (at the back), you need to repeat the process.

No cut it to the same number of links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    cooldad wrote:
    No cut it to the same number of links.

I think it's pretty obvious that was what he meant.

Read this, it will explain everything.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then he should say what he meant. It's not always obvious to the person asking the question, and a badly stretched chain can be close on a link length longer.
    Always best to fit a new chain correctly and not assume the old one was correct.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools