UCI rule that actually makes sense for a change!

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm quite amazed I really do like the sound of that. It also adds the potential fact that said doper would be steeping on the toes of riders who "have not tested positive" who could be unhappy with riders joining and potentially taking their leadership role away.

Whether it effects the pay offers certain riders get will remain to be seen. I.e Valverde has probably already agreed terms with Moviestar
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think I disagree... Especially given the Pro Tour has died a death and the big organisers have won the battle with the UCI over who rides their races.

In essence, there only seems to be a downside to hiring the Valverdes of this world for the likes of Androni who rely on ranking points to get into the Giro. A Saxobank or a Movistar are never, given the talents at their disposal, going to be relying on riders individual points to get into big races.

The idea that, should he cop a ban, Contador is going to be shunned by any race organiser as he can't accrue enough ranking points to secure his team a ride is nonsense also. They'll simply invite him.

This looks to me like the UCI pre emptively rigging the system so when riders come off suspension and ride in big races they can say "nothing to do with us, our power only extends this far! Now.. .look at those nasty organisers".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Doesn't the team ranking determine the order of the team cars in the major races? Without, for example, Contador's points Saxo would be much further down the pecking order...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I read it as more to do with lower contracts for the Valverdes.