Glasgow's new Museum of Transport

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,584
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
This evening I got the chance of a sneaky preview of Glasgow's new Riverside Museum aka Museum of Transport which opens next week.

Here are a couple of the cycling highlights

The great big velodrome in the sky

velodrome%20sky.jpg

Chris Boardman's Lotus ( I thinkTdF prologue 1994 but the wheels are wrong )

Boardman%27s%20Lotus.jpg

Graeme Obree's Old Faithful

Obree%20Old%20faithful.jpg

My favourite... The start/finish line from Vikingskipet Velodrome Hamar Norway where he broke the Hour Record.

Obree%20Start%20Finish%20Line.jpg

Nice enough building, but very cluttered, without a sense of timeline or object comparison and difficult to get up close to many of the most interesting exhibits since they are 40ft up in the air.

Comments

• markyboy2005
    markyboy2005 Posts: 465
    Alan A wrote:
    This evening I got the chance of a sneaky preview of Glasgow's new Riverside Museum aka Museum of Transport which opens next week.

Nice enough building, but very cluttered, without a sense of timeline or object comparison and difficult to get up close to many of the most interesting exhibits since they are 40ft up in the air.

I Must be getting old, I remember when the old one next to Kelvin Hall was the new one. The original was in Pollockshields, used to go there as a kid with the school.

I must say, I used to love taking the kids there when they were younger (Kelvingrove), I'll probably visit the new one when I'm next back.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I love this place, its a great museum. I love the fact they have 'ordinary' cars from the 70's and 80's but a little bit of history about each one rather than just a bland array of posh or valuable supercars. The cycling section was an added bonus.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Look forward to visiting Trnsport Museum part 3. Like Markyboy I remember the original n Pollkshields - in fact I remember the original being a Tram depot. I was there as the Glasgow trams trundled for the last time into the depot.

Great to see that cycling is getting a much higher profile a the new place.

-Spider-