Replacing a chain

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been having a read through the FAQs and I can only see checks for measuring the stretch of a chain, but I am curious as to whether you can have a chain that is too short. I have had a few breakages and removed links here and there (i dont know how many).

Last week I had the gears indexed by the LBS but every time I change to the lowest (inner?) gears the chain flies off. Very annoying when I come to attack a hill as I have to get off to push. It also seems to skip or need a little extra push to hit the gear. So I am thinking the chain is too short? Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like poor indexing.

read the info on parktools for indexing and sizing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aidso
    Thank you Nick. That ParkTool site has a guide showing if its too short, cool.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like poor indexing.
    +1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    aidso wrote:
    Thank you Nick. That ParkTool site has a guide showing if its too short, cool.

no it shows you how to size a chain.

but i dont think that is the issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aidso
    There was an image showing the rear and if there was an S then the current length is fine, if its straight its too short.....

Anyways I think you're right, sounds like it needs better indexed.
    Thanks,