OT - Running

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Or as I like to call it yoging ala Ron Burgundy.

Do you guys partake? I have started doing this recently in a bid to shape up for my holiday...don't want any Italians kicking sand in my face.

I have to say that the effect of doing it seems greater than cycling in terms of general body shape. My belly is shrinking rapidly and I feel generally more 'tight'. Cycling does not seem to have such an impact.

Having said that - yesterday I commuted to work and back on my bike, went for a 5k run, did 35 press ups (trying to do 10k press ups in 2011) and 20 sit ups....I then immediately felt like I was going to vom and ended up in bed by 9.30pm a shivering wreck. So I am thinking I need to ration the exercise a bit!

So do you run? Do you think its more effective than cycling for fitness?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I tend to run into work or back once a week (~11Km), cycle the other 4. I might end up commuting by bike one day less depending on how often I start doing longer weekend rides.

"More effective" I don't know. I expect I burn more calories in any given time, but that's only one measure.

If I cycle in then I get off the bike, park up and saunter over to the gym breathing normally.
    If I run in I get to the gym a sweaty mess and continue sweating for another 20 minutes.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I run. In terms of calories burnt over time then it's much better than cycling.

I actually only took up cycling because I'd injured my knee (walking into my own car when drunk) and was having difficulty running. I need to start doing decent distances again on a weekend, but I tend to find it too much like hard work in the summer. Spring, and Autumn in particular, are my favourite times for running.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Asprilla wrote:
    I run. In terms of calories burnt over time then it's much better than cycling. I actually only took up cycling because I'd injured my knee (walking into my own car when drunk) and was having difficulty running.

Your knee must have had some momentum!

My app (endomondo) tells me running burns more... I try to run but I hate it, just keep thinking I could be on the bike right now... :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    I run. In terms of calories burnt over time then it's much better than cycling. I actually only took up cycling because I'd injured my knee (walking into my own car when drunk) and was having difficulty running.

My app (endomondo) tells me running burns more... I try to run but I hate it, just keep thinking I could be on the bike right now... :wink:

Nail. On. The head.

I just eat less. Less risk of damaging your knees or Achilles etc.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

It did £600 worth of damage to the car as well :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I keep saying I am going to start running but I am 36 and get the odd knee twinge from cycle commuting so dont know if I should push my luck. A mate who runs alot tells me it will strengthen my knees but I am not so sure !!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I saw on TV the other week running makes you look old, another nail in the coffin.

Just cycle longer 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Dude, arm curls are where it's at:
    Ron Burgundy: [Ron is shirtless in his office and is doing arm curls with dumbbells] 1001... 1002... 1003...
    Veronica Corningstone: Uh, Mr. Burgundy? Helen said that you needed to see me.
    Ron Burgundy: Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back.
    Veronica Corningstone: Well, you asked me to come by, sir.
    Ron Burgundy: Oh, did I?
    Veronica Corningstone: Yes.
    Ron Burgundy: Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

And this look should surely keep the Italians in their place

MassiveErection.jpg

Plus a dab of Sex Panther, natch!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    edited June 2011
    KonaMike wrote:
    I keep saying I am going to start running but I am 36 and get the odd knee twinge from cycle commuting so dont know if I should push my luck. A mate who runs alot tells me it will strengthen my knees but I am not so sure !!

Dunno about strengthening the knees, but it strengthens the bones. Well, runners have increased bone density over non-runners.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ KonaMike - I haven't run 'properly' in months. My knees are now creaking.

Running is good for you - especially if you love food :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

Dunno about strengthening the knees, but it strengthens the bones. Well, runners have increased bone density over non-runners.

So runners are more dense than cyclists?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

So runners are more dense than cyclists?

Just big boned, that's all.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    KonaMike wrote:

Apparently if you run 'properly' i.e. putting the balls of your feet down first, then you improve knee health. Running in cusioned running shoes tends to encourage you to place your heel down first and this can cause knee problems especially if you then run like that without cusioned shoes.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    kamiokande wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

Apparently if you run 'properly' i.e. putting the balls of your feet down first, then you improve knee health. Running in cusioned running shoes tends to encourage you to place your heel down first and this can cause knee problems especially if you then run like that without cusioned shoes.

This is true. Evolution spent a few millions of years getting us a pair of feet that could run over rough ground. Nike spent a couple of years inventing what it sold as an improvement.

If you mid foot strike under your body, you have flex in you ankle and knee to absorb the landing, and (because you stirke under your body) you're pretty much falling forwards the whole time.

Usually if you strike with your heel, you do so forward of your body, like you would dig in if you were in a tug of war, so pushing you backwards. You lose most of the flex in your ankle and probably a fair bit in your knee (since it is likely to be straighter in order to allow your foot to hit forward of your body).

In a previous life I managed to re program my running style enough to allow me to run reasonable distances (up to 10k) in running flats. No leg problems, despite missing cartelidges in both, and having had a tendency to shin splints when I was a heel striker.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I love running and did loads of it years ago but these days I struggle to stay injury free. Shins, ITBs, Piriformis have all suffered in the last few years.

Think the trouble I have is that I got so fit cycling that when I go back to running I push too far too quick and my body does not get time to adapt so just breaks. I think once you can do 100 mile cycles ok, going back to running 10k just doesn't seem like enough distance covered for the effort!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Greg66 wrote:

This is true. Evolution spent a few millions of years getting us a pair of feet that could run over rough ground. Nike spent a couple of years inventing what it sold as an improvement.

If you mid foot strike under your body, you have flex in you ankle and knee to absorb the landing, and (because you stirke under your body) you're pretty much falling forwards the whole time.

Usually if you strike with your heel, you do so forward of your body, like you would dig in if you were in a tug of war, so pushing you backwards. You lose most of the flex in your ankle and probably a fair bit in your knee (since it is likely to be straighter in order to allow your foot to hit forward of your body).

In a previous life I managed to re program my running style enough to allow me to run reasonable distances (up to 10k) in running flats. No leg problems, despite missing cartelidges in both, and having had a tendency to shin splints when I was a heel striker.

sweet jesus! a non sarcastic or innuendo comment from Greg!!

your losing your touch young man
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    gert_lush wrote:
    I think once you can do 100 mile cycles ok, going back to running 10k just doesn't seem like enough distance covered for the effort!

It isn't. Speaking personally, I'd equate a 100mile bike ride to something between 20 and 25 miles of running.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Greg66 wrote:
    kamiokande wrote:
    KonaMike wrote:

I don't really do running in the same way as I do cycling, but I can remember running barefoot once (I think it was on wet sand, on a beach, so quite a hard surface) and I distinctly recall the difference between the jarring of my heels hitting the ground first, and how much easier it felt running on the balls of my feet. Not really thought about it since, but the above has made it all slot into place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    That's why humans have such large calf muscles.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Running can't be good for you. Do you ever see a smiling jogger? Or even one that looks content with life? Occasionally, when there's a pack, you see some jokey banter but otherwise... nope.

Seriously though I used to run - up to 10k.Then I did a half marathon and the training for that made running feel like a chore and took all the fun out of it. Cycling gives me a 'wheeeeeee!' moment every day... running only did that once when I ended up running through a monsoon and giggling just because it was so wet.

Shape-wise, I've toned up more since I started commuting than I did training for the half-marathon. That might also be because I commute pre-breakfast so the body burns more fat than when I used to run in the evening.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Running can't be good for you. Do you ever see a smiling jogger? Or even one that looks content with life? Occasionally, when there's a pack, you see some jokey banter but otherwise... nope.

HaileGebrselassie460.jpg

This fella always seems like he`s having a good time running
  • asprilla
    I enjoy blanking everything out when running; just my breathing and my stride and that's all I'm thinking about. Can't do that when cycling or you'd end up coming a cropper.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ron Burgundy: [Ron is shirtless in his office and is doing arm curls with dumbbells] 1001... 1002... 1003...
    Ron Burgundy: Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back.
    Ron Burgundy: Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

MassiveErection.jpg

Here you go Greg http://www.firebox.com/product/2291/Sex-Panther still time to place an order before fathers day.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

MassiveErection.jpg

Here you go Greg http://www.firebox.com/product/2291/Sex-Panther still time to place an order before fathers day.

Awesome! I feel one step closer to the no pants dance already!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was gonna try that Pose method, but never got round to it. I do have a pair of Fivefingers though. They make my feet look like gorilla feet.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Greg66 wrote:
    kamiokande wrote:

Agree with this. I moved to flats relatively recently and now run on the balls of my feet / my toes. It killed my calfs at first but I now have stronger legs and knees and my running's got quicker.

My commute is from rural Sussex to central London. Non-folding bikes aren't allowed on the train at peak times and I didn't fancy tackling the Downs on a Brompton. So I cycle from home to train station and then run from London train station to office, so both are a daily thing (obviously with the reverse in the evening). Biggest pain of it all is running with your cycle kit (lights, helmet, shoes) and cycling with a rucksack (running shoes etc in there). It's made me analyse all of my kit in detail and ensures I only take what's essential for that day. My Shimano cycling shoes that I use weigh in at 1200g so the next thing is to swap the commuter from SPDs to Looks and use my proper road shoes for a nice 650g saving in the rucksack.

It was swapping the more bulky running shoes for lighter flats in an effort to reduce my load carried that put me down the path of running on my toes.
  • asprilla
    If you are going to try pose running then you've got to make sure that you don't have any underlying muscular / skeletal problems in the first place or you will have issues. I've got one leg slightly longer than the other (most people do, either real or apparent) and so pose running is only going to lead to abject pain and suffering.

That said I have tried it and it is quicker and requires less effort than heel striking, just remember to shorten your gait when you do it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Asprilla wrote:
    I enjoy blanking everything out when running; just my breathing and my stride and that's all I'm thinking about. Can't do that when cycling or you'd end up coming a cropper.

In all seriousness, I could do that on my bike when I cycled out into Cambridgeshire and the Peaks on a weekday late morning.

Now I live in London, I can't really think of nothing.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Agent57 wrote:
    I was gonna try that Pose method, but never got round to it. I do have a pair of Fivefingers though. They make my feet look like gorilla feet.

I try to run to work and back once a week (12 miles round trip) but I get a recurring injury - stress fracture in my lower right, inner shin.... It's a nightmare. At one point I tried running in flat soled sailing shoes which are similar to those five finger things. The idea is that there is no fancy heel support which forces you to run on the midfoot, you cannot heel strike as it almost breaks yuor foot! However I ended up almost crippling my calf muscles! I still try to run on the midfoot but in Addidas trainers....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have some short shorts somewhere and a pair of running trainers I think, lets give this 'running' thing a go.

BRB

Edit: Yep that was rubbish, it all came flooding back just why I hate running.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.