Wheelbuilder recommendation: South or South West London

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all

I had a catastrophic rim failure yesterday on my rear wheel, thankfully not while I was on the bike. The wheels were 18 months old and handbuilt. Very nice wheels while they lasted, built by Paul Hewitt's shop in Lancaster, coped well with my weight and never out of true.

I want to get a replacement, so I am looking for any recommendations. I would like to get someone closer, who I can visit. As I am based in the Sutton area in South London. I would be looking for a Mavic Open Pro on 105 hub.

Does anyone have any recommendations for people in the South/SW of London who can build nice solid wheels?

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Probably loads of shops that can do it, but if you want to experience something different, you could try "Sam The Wheels". Used to build wheels for Holdsworth - or so it says on LFGSS.

brix027.jpg

http://www.lfgss.com/thread5363.html
  • Is he the one in Herne Hill?

The thread about him in April this year was the only thread I found in the commuting section mentioning a specific wheelbuilder (I'm sure there have been plenty in the past, when I've not needed them - clearly my Google skills are lacking). It may well be worth a pop, just to try him out.

I'm happy to go to a shop. Pearson is my nearby shop, but I would appreciate any recommendations. Happy to go with those who use their own garage, too, if they come recommended, particularly if they offer value for money.

I do want to start building my own wheels, but I have just moved house, and my wife won't let me get the bits until there is space in the garage. :(
  • SkidMerckx
    SkidMerckx Posts: 72
    Can’t speak highly enough of Harry Rowlands (harry.rowland@yahoo.co.uk - 01843 597443 or 07807727909) who built me an excellent set of wheels for a very fair price. Customer service is second to none - Harry re-laced my back wheel free of charge with heavy duty spokes after a couple of the originals broke around six months after I purchased!
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Look Mum No Hands, Old Street - ask for SamH. Will build your wheels up to spec - I have the same as you, Mavic OpenPros on 105 hubs. Now on my second set for training - first set lasted years and were still true by the time the rims wore down.

AFAIK he still lives in Herne Hill, so this could be the guy you are already aware of. Anyhow, nice bloke, used to ride for our club before LMNH, reliable, top quality builds.

I know, LMNH isn't SW London, but you can always have a beer/pie and watch telly whilst you drop off/pick up the wheels. Best ask for double-butted spokes!
  • Paul Hewitt has a pretty good reputation - is it worth having a chat with them first as they may try to keep you as a satisfied customer?

Not in London but I have had some wheels built and shipped by Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Didn't need to travel and have been very pleased with the results.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    here's one in SE London, I haven't tried him though:

http://www.yogarup.com/wheels/
  • Thanks for all of the input people. I will contact Paul Hewitt's, WBW, but I think I want to keep future work more local.

LMNH is a possibility. I work 'up town', so Clerkenwell Road is not impossible. I think I've seen Arup mentioned over on LFGSS (positively), so that is possible, too. Harry Rowlands has a good reputation from what I can recall from a couple of years back when I was looking (and I was living in Kent then, so it was a possibility), but I think he is too far from me now except to do it by post.

Then there is always SpaCycles, maybe. Just to tide me over until I get a wheel jig and start fettling for myself .... hmmm
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Try Geoffery Butler Cycles in South Croydon. I had some that had been built by Pete Wise and they were great - never went out of true. 32 hole Ambrosio Elite rims on Shimano RX100 hubs.
  • Hmm

Perhaps looking for more workaday commuting heavy duty (as I'm heavy!) wheels, but the principle is the same no matter the wheel. I have bought a few bits from GBCycles in the last couple of years and, apart from some of the staff seeming to have problems relating to the public on the phone, I've found them reliable. So that may be worth a go. Ta.